free website stats program Question on loose compensator bolt | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Question on loose compensator bolt

I wonder how many mechanics actually read all the service bulletins and amend all their service manuals to ensure they are working to the latest trend

Brian

Some may do but I would say probably not many. From what I have seen over the years, I would say more than 75% just want to know when their next raise is or "When Is Lunch!":)

I have met some pitiful slackers in my day. :34:

Some may do but I would say probably not many. From what I have seen over the years, I would say more than 75% just want to know when their next raise is or "When Is Lunch!":)

But then that is the modern way of doing things just enough to get by and you should be glad that they are there for you
the generation after mine seems to be not so determined to do the best job they possibly can and perhaps dont fully test what they have done and if something has gone wrong then it is not their fault
well that is the way it is in my line of work

Brian

I wonder how many mechanics actually read all the service bulletins and amend all their service manuals to ensure they are working to the latest trend unless however when they look the part up on the system it gives note of any changes to the procedure of use of the part
If that is the case then the parts guy will get the notes for that part

Brian

Good techs will, I read and research for updates if I am not sure or suspicious

Not sure the manf date of the SE comp sprocket kit I just purchased, but I'd be curious what the 2010/11 service manuals call out as to loctite specifications for assembly/reassembly on this part. I find it odd that it has yellow loctite on it. I've never run across anything with yellow on it, but I'm not in this line of work on a daily basis either. One thread I was reading some guy was given yellow by his NASA buddy, so may not be too common on usage.

The install instructions that shipped with it are dated Aug 2008, so they don't make mention of any changes. If nothing in the more current service manuals, or service bullentins, Hoop may be right in that all HD is specifying is "high strength" and when Taiwan, China or whereever gets it, they're using whatever high-strength they have on hand. Cause from what I've seen so far on this comp issue, QC doesn't seem to be too tightly controlled.

Not sure the manf date of the SE comp sprocket kit I just purchased, but I'd be curious what the 2010/11 service manuals call out as to loctite specifications for assembly/reassembly on this part. I find it odd that it has yellow loctite on it. I've never run across anything with yellow on it, but I'm not in this line of work on a daily basis either. One thread I was reading some guy was given yellow by his NASA buddy, so may not be too common on usage.

The install instructions that shipped with it are dated Aug 2008, so they don't make mention of any changes. If nothing in the more current service manuals, or service bullentins, Hoop may be right in that all HD is specifying is "high strength" and when Taiwan, China or whereever gets it, they're using whatever high-strength they have on hand. Cause from what I've seen so far on this comp issue, QC doesn't seem to be too tightly controlled.
Ford has used yellow loctite on caliper bolts for a while and I torque the bolts to 140 ft lbs

well if you use it on caliper bolts, I guess the guy saying you need a 3-ton hydraulic impact force to break the yellow loose, was exagerrating just a little :laugh

well if you use it on caliper bolts, I guess the guy saying you need a 3-ton hydraulic impact force to break the yellow loose, was exagerrating just a little :laugh

LOL, Ford has had issues with calipers working loose for years, tho they will not admit it, most manufactures use some loctite on caliper anchor bolts now days, nothing my air wrench @ work cant handle, and I always hand Torque all brake and front end parts

Just to wrap this thread up, installed the new SE compensator kit over the Thanksgiving weekend. Start-up bang definitely eliminated and quite happy about that. Other than that, that's about all the improvement I've noticed.

I had opened a thread way back when I first joined, about mechanical "clacking" noises when working the clutch in/out quickly like when in a slow speed maneuver situation like working over a speed bump, or just normal in town stop and go driving. Was hoping the upgraded comp would eliminate that noise, but it did not. It's still there. Was talking off-line with another forum member and pretty much decided that's the nature of the beast with the clutch/tranny operations on these 6-speeds.

And in the for what it's worth dept - When I got into doing the new comp install, the comp nut that was originally loose on the original compensator was again not torqued properly when I went to remove it. I had removed, cleaned, red loctite, 24hr cure time, 150 ft-lbs of torque on reinstall and it broke loose with minimal force using a breaker bar only. Not sure what was going on there. Not sure if I goofed somewhere on reinstall, or if like Jack suggested, a new comp nut should be used. I think I'll go with a new comp nut if I ever have to tear back into this area.

and it broke loose with minimal force using a breaker bar only. Not sure what was going on there.

You did clean the threads inside the crank hole where the compensator bolt goes? I mean with brake clean and compressed air a couple of times. With red loctite (271) it should have been welded in place. Only thing I can think of is oily internal threads.

Hoop - I used a small brush dipped in acetone and a can of compressed air on that first go-round. I've since bought a small air compressor that I used on the se comp install. That and brake cleaner.

I was wondering if the bolt threads on the original bolt were comprimised, causing the problem. If you're saying no, I must have not cleaned the internal threads good enough. The bolt was totally clean and removed of all the original blue loctite sealant.

Back