Question on 96 sportster 1200

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by teerock, Mar 31, 2014.

1. teerock

teerock New Member

got a set of straight long shot exhaust.worry about exhaust returing back to the open valves , I know it need to rejeted

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Active Member

Re: V&H exhaust install problem

reversion of the gas/air back into the motor not happening the pipes are to long, most after market systems lose the balance pipe specially the V&H straights

3. gator508

gator508 Senior Member

I believe the idea behind longshots is they are long enough so cold air intrusion is not a problem.

4. hillbilly81

hillbilly81 Active Member

I believe I seen the answer to your question in another thread...no need to sweat it not gonna happen

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Active Member

as long as they are if memory serves - i stand to be corrected - if the exhaust is over 18-20" long (most headers) you won't suffer reversion - i don't remember the correct length top of head and as covered in flatting dust waiting for filler to dry I'm only here quickly

6. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

IF or When in Doubt:

I have used a set of stainless inserts (internal fitting pipe about 2" long) inside the Head Pipes to motor that kept reversion out of the valves. Worked fine in my 00 dyna using Low back pressure exhaust mufflers.
    Seemed at the time they were under 20$ a set.

signed....BUBBIE

7. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

8. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Thanks Brian.....

Exactly... Did the Job Quite nicely on my 2000 TC High-performance Build using Low back-pressure exhaust.
    i did notice a big difference using them.:s

signed....BUBBIE