Question: oil cooler temps

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by pjciii, Jun 14, 2012.

1. pjciii

pjciii Member

hopefully i can get some answers, i own a 2010 ultra classic 96ci. i have installed an oil cooler, V&H dual exhaust, fuel pack, K&N stage one kit and an oil temp gauge in place of air temp. i run 20-50 harley dino. yesterday my oil temp was running at 230 degrees. it was 89 out in rush hour highway traffic and humid. now that i can see my oil temp my question is what should it be. the oil cooler is a harley product and not looking to change and i run dino oil to keep top end noise down. i have run syn3 and amsiol but i dont like the clatter. i know above 250 degrees dino will break down but what should i expect to see for temps as normal. thanks for any responses in advance
  2. oiler

oiler Active Member

I run Spectro full synthetic in my 09 SG. Use to use Mobil 1 but I find the Spectro is a little quieter. I rarely see temps above 230 and I do not have an oil cooler. Bel-Ray makes a semi synthetic (Bel-Ray V-Twin Semi-Synthetic Engine Oil 20W-50) I hear that this oil keeps the temp and top end noise down. I may try it next oil change. If I were you I would run synthetic in the engine and just put up with the chatter. You will be happier in the long run.
  3. jimharvey1

jimharvey1 Junior Member

My 2012 UC (4k miles) runs at about 200-210 on the highway and often hits 230 in town riding 2-up. I have Syn-3 in all 3 holes right now only cause the dealer was quick and I forgot to tell him what I wanted. Now in my 07 UC, I ran 20-50 Amsoil in all 3 holes with a cooler and rarely saw much higher than 180.
  4. marcus22

marcus22 Junior Member

200-230 is normal operating temps. I would say if the temp never went over 230 than the oil cooler did its job. on hot days in traffic, with my bike, I have pulled over because oil temps getting too high (i don't have a cooler). as for your normal temps. I would say as long as the temps are below 230 you are fine. I ride some days with the oil temp gauge not even moving because its cold outside
  5. Cuzz

Cuzz Member

How is your sending unit installed?
  6. Cuzz

Cuzz Member

I changed mine to measure the temp of the oil in the pan as opposed to that goofy splicing into the rubber oil lines. Thats just 2 leaks waiting to happen.
  7. RibEye

RibEye Junior Member Contributor

230 is pretty much perfect for a fully warmed up engine.

Please note that, in the heads, engine oil experiences well over what you measure in the tank.

Rich P
  8. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

@ 230 you're dialed-in & oil cooler should keep it there, or lower (depending on conditions). I've seen my oil temp ride a shade above 250 a few hot/humid rides last season, but still within operational range...