free website stats program Question, My Bike Stalled | Harley Davidson Forums

Question, My Bike Stalled

Oregold

Greetings friends I need some advise. Just bought a 96 FXSTC with low miles. 6500, and has had every service from HD dealer. My bike stalled yesterday after no problems for the 400 miles I've put on it. Upgrades include Mikuni HRS 42, HV 27 cam, and a hi 4E ignition and dyno tuned. The prior owner had this all done by a well known HD Dealership Tech that does a lot of HP upgrades.

Here is what happened. Yesterday I cleaned the K&N filter, washed the bike and dried it off. A couple of hours later I went for a ride, and after 3 miles the bike started to pop and hesitate. It seemed to start running better so I kept going but then after leaving a stop sign the bike hesitated again, and popped a couple of times, before it stalled while underway. I pulled over, and thinking it may be low on gas I went to reserve. Started and ran to the gas station but when I filled it up it only took 2.5 gallons of gas. So, it should have already had a couple gallons. It ran fine on the way home. Later last evening I took it out without a problem. But, I am concerned because I don't want to get stuck out on the road some place where getting help will be difficult. Any ideas on what may have caused this problem, and or what I should check? Our weather has been warm here in seventies. I've road the bike in the mid nineties, no problems until yesterday. Sat the bike goes in to HD for a new rear tire. I'm replacing the 6 year old battery even though it holds a good charge, and oil filter change because it's old, but only about 500 miles. Thanks for any advise or information you may have. Good day friends. Mike in Oregon

Possible water got into the ignition plate, blow it dry with air, check the plug wires are making good clean connection at the coil and plugs, apply some dilectric grease to connections

You could easily have been low on fuel the tanks are connected by fairly low volume pipe and fittings and when it looks full you have only filled the right side tank fuel flows much faster from the fuel pump than the cross over pipe can carry it
I always fill the left tank first then the right

Brian

I'm with Tank on this one. I go with the rag in a plastic coffee can and mild soap mixture. I don't even rinse just towel off. Finish with the dreaded Pledge. Works at home and on the road.

A friend of mine had a '95 FXSTC and he had a problem just like this one. Like Fin said the crossover under the tanks is only 3/8" and when filling he would only fill from the right side. On top of not filling it up the crossover gummed up with years of junk in the gas and from the hose breaking down. Replaced the hose and he learned to fill up both sides, no problems since.

I don't know anything about your model, but I have a 1200 Sportster that had the same problem (the only Harley I've ever owned so far). Mine ran fine for a while after starting, then after it warmed up, it started popping and stalling.
I asked on here and found that it was the crank position sensor that was faulty. I replaced it and it ran absolutely fine after that.
Just a thought...

Thank you everyone for the advise. I did remove the seat checked the breaker box and plugs. It seemed dry but when I used air on everything I saw some water blow out. And, I always thought that it didn't matter which side of the tank I filled. But Now I'll use the left side. and also check cross over hose.

While I had the seat off and the battery in view I did see a two wire plug that was not plugged in. It's a round two end plug with what looks like a push, twist on plug. It's on the right side of the battery, and has one small ear to secure it. All my light work, so I left it unplugged thinking it may be for some accessory I don't have. However, I would think that it should be covered if not in use, so I will check it for voltage. The owners manual that came with the bike has no information on this small round plug. Or, many other thing's I would like to know. I'm going to search for some manual that may provide more information. Thanks again everyone and have a great weekend. Mike

Question I have is this. Did you wash the bike with the air cleaner removed so it could dry before oiling????? Possibly water got into carb opening and caused problem? Was air cleaner completely dry before oiling and installing???????

It does not matter which tank you fill but as the fuel takes a fair bit of time to move from 1 tank to the other if you only fill 1 tank you will only get it just over half full you need to fill both tanks

Brian

Like Brian and I said you must fill both sides of the tank. The crossover hose is big enough to supply gas to the carb, but will not flow enough to fill the other side when gassing up. The unused plug could be for a battery tender like Tank said or for heated clothing. If you have neither take it off.

Back