free website stats program Question for Mr Glider | Harley Davidson Forums

Question for Mr Glider

ppofootball

First of all . Happy Holiday to you sir. I installed my Orsam bulb today and just went for a short ride, extremely bright light thank you again for great advise. However, my light was to hot to keep my finger on it for more than a two count. Is this normal? I never really checked it with the old bulb. I guess I can run it for a few days and pull the bat wing off and inspect. What are your thoughts? Thanks again HD Master.

You don't have to remove the batwing to change the bulb. Just remove the outside ring and 3 screws that hold the lense retainer ring and the lense comes out. Don't touch the 2 screws with the springs them, that is for aiming the headlight.
kemo

First of all . Happy Holiday to you sir. I installed my Orsam bulb today and just went for a short ride, extremely bright light thank you again for great advise. However, my light was to hot to keep my finger on it for more than a two count. Is this normal? I never really checked it with the old bulb. I guess I can run it for a few days and pull the bat wing off and inspect. What are your thoughts? Thanks again HD Master.

1st - what size of Orsam did ya install?
2nd - what style/wattage did you have in there to begin with?
3rd - I wouldn't handle the bulbs with bare hands unless I wiped it off afterwards. The oils in our skin will / can have an effect on the bulb itself.

quickest way to blow this bulb is to handle it. pull it and wipe it with a clean cloth before you turn your ignition key on.

Thanks Lew. I did not touch the bulb area at all. I bought the one Glider posted. H4.80.100.os Off-road # 64194 PU43T from German Auto in New York Osram100/80 12v. The housing does not get hot just the Glass lense. Heppy Holidays fellas

Light bulbs produce a lot of heat the higher the wattage of the bulb the greater the heat produced
however if a personal recommendation for such a bulb from someone with the experience of glider is given id suspect it was good advise to use it
Just remember that forward motion of the bike will allow the lens to cool in the air flow

Brian

Halogen light bulbs will be HOT!! See here:

A halogen lamp also uses a tungsten filament, but it is encased inside a much smaller quartz envelope. Because the envelope is so close to the filament, it would melt if it were made from glass. The gas inside the envelope is also different -- it consists of a gas from the halogen group. These gases have a very interesting property: They combine with tungsten vapor. If the temperature is high enough, the halogen gas will combine with tungsten atoms as they evaporate and redeposit them on the filament. This recycling process lets the filament last a lot longer. In addition, it is now possible to run the filament hotter, meaning you get more light per unit of energy. You still get a lot of heat, though; and because the quartz envelope is so close to the filament, it is extremely hot compared to a normal light bulb.**

TQ

This is very helpful and explains a lot . Thank you. I rode tonight and it didnt seem as hot maybe becuase its breaking in and it was a bit cooler tonight than the other night. Anyway, this light is phenominal.

Back