free website stats program Question concerning ATF in the Primary Gllider and some of the more knowledgeable please respond | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Question concerning ATF in the Primary Gllider and some of the more knowledgeable please respond

It sure would make for an interesting experiment just to see what would happen. I wish you could get an HONEST answer on how well it worked from people using it in their primary, but you never would.

Hoop!

This is what got me second guessing was that there was a number of riders on the other site they said they had been using it for upwards of 2+ years and some with 20+K since starting use and they were saying it was working very well.

I am not saying I agree with them but thought I would ask those that know a lot more than me about this stuff. I am not a mechanic.

The bottom line is almost anything will work but it will not do the job of the proper lube in the primary. Something is going to come up short, probably your wallet.

Ya never know, the clutch may chatter like crazy even though the fluid is meant for clutch packs. Using Ford automatic trans fluid in a GM is the kiss of death (I am told). Go figure.

I myself would never do it unless I was a Tech working at a Dealership!:p

This is what got me second guessing was that there was a number of riders on the other site they said they had been using it for upwards of 2+ years and some with 20+K since starting use and they were saying it was working very well.

I am not saying I agree with them but thought I would ask those that know a lot more than me about this stuff. I am not a mechanic.

Sometimes I wonder if people just make stuff like this up just because they want to see their words and ideas in Print.

The bottom line is almost anything will work but it will not do the job of the proper lube in the primary. Something is going to come up short, probably your wallet.

Hey Glider.
I have been paying attention to what you have been saying.
I ordered in the Spectro for the Trans and primary and Mobile1 V-twin for the motor.:D:D

Just thought I would ask the question when I read this other opinion on another site.

I know I should only pay attention the the knowledgeable guys here:bigsmiley24::bigsmiley24:

Last edited:
Two points for you! :D

I try not to steer anyone wrong and only recommend what I know for sure works. I don't like getting bad info and I don't like giving bad info either.

Good choice in oils too.

I used atf in the primary of my '92 Dyna for about 2 years or 20K miles. This was before internet forums, and it was recomended by an independant Hd shop. They had a good reputation. Threre were a lot of Harleys running around S.Brevard County, FL with atf, and I had no problems. It still has original clutch plates and does not slip (64k miles). I changed back to primary fluid, because I just did not feel comfortable using atf. There is a lot of clutch plates and chains as well as high temps in an auto trans.

Ya never know, the clutch may chatter like crazy even though the fluid is meant for clutch packs. Using Ford automatic trans fluid in a GM is the kiss of death (I am told). Go figure.

I myself would never do it unless I was a Tech working at a Dealership!:p

When talking automatic transmission fluid, the differences between the different ones was along the clutch materials used AND desired "coefficient of friction" to allow smooth engagement and release (sound familiar with oil wetted clutches?), so yes GM, Ford, Chrysler and Japenese imports all used their own "secret sausce". Bottom line...don't use ATF in your Harley...EVER. :devil Manufacturers choose lubricants based on plenty of research, how well equipped is your garage and your budget?

It sure would make for an interesting experiment just to see what would happen. I wish you could get an HONEST answer on how well it worked from people using it in their primary, but you never would.

Hoop!

Yeah, and if it "lunched" their tranny, don't think they would want to admit their mistake either or relate it without using choice words that would get them banned anyway.:newsmile100:

Last edited:
Back