free website stats program question about sportster's rear stock cast wheel lip seal | Harley Davidson Forums

question about sportster's rear stock cast wheel lip seal

hugo1200

Hi I'm new in the forum.
I hope learn from you.
My sportster 1200 custom, model 1997 it needs to grease the rear axle... but I want to know if the harley lip seal (oil seal number 47519-83a) used in front wheel... it's the same oil seal for original cast wheel's rear axle??:bigsmiley25:
please help me...
I want to do my self... its my first time

Welcome hugo, those seals are used thru 1999 on front & back. if you have never done HD wheel bearings before be carefull to keep the spacer washer with the raised area to the outside against the bearing inner race, some times it sticks to the bearing when removing and is easy to miss, just assemble the same as it comes apart and you'll be fine. If you have to replace any bearings end play will have to be checked. Do you have a service manual?

Dear Chopper
thanks for your answer
I have 2002 and 2005 sportster manual... do you think that both are useful for 1997? are similar the specifications?
here (in my city) no body sell parts for my harley, then when I go to El Paso Texas, I m trying to buy parts... I'm recently bought lip seal for my front spoke wheel, and I forgotten to answer for the rear wheel's lip seal.
I appreciate your tips, :newsmile04:

I would get the right HD service manual for your bike, the 2000 and later bikes all have sealed wheel bearings so won't be much help to you. You can order on line, I'll give you a link, these people are good to deal with and give 20% off everything with no sales tax. There is also a ton of information in the self help section on this forum, so chech it out, it's good reading.

http://mandmcycles.com/

Back