free website stats program Question about Split Baffles | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about Split Baffles

danthern

Hello...I recently bought a new Road King and did a stage 1 upgrade. I obtained some de-catted head pipes, added a hi flow filter and a tuner. The slip-ons are Rush Big Louies with split baffles. My question is, now that the headers are free flowing, should I change the baffles to have the same size on each head or does it really matter? Currently, the right side is 2.5, 3.0 on the left. Thanks in advance!

danthern,

I can only offer that the backpressure may be different with different baffles. I don't know if it will make a performance issue.

danthern,

I can only offer that the backpressure may be different with different baffles. I don't know if it will make a performance issue.

Yeah, that's my question...if I understand it correctly, more exhaust is shunted to the left side with the bigger baffle to compensate for the restriction from the cat. Now that it's gone I don't know how important it is (if at all) to have the same baffle in each pipe...thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!

Yeah, that's my question...if I understand it correctly, more exhaust is shunted to the left side with the bigger baffle to compensate for the restriction from the cat. Now that it's gone I don't know how important it is (if at all) to have the same baffle in each pipe...thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!

No opinions on this?

Opinion, I'm not being rude, but I do think you are overthinking the problem. I have no hard evidence to prove this but with the minor modifications done so far, it's not worth the stress to fret over what is likely a non issue. Since you decatted the headers, the proportional amount of flow out of each cylinder remained the same, though total volume will have increased. That said, if the proportions are the same, there was probably some design reason to choose a smaller baffle on the left than the right and I suspect that was made based on the proportion of flow from left to right vs total flow from both.

Opinion, I'm not being rude, but I do think you are overthinking the problem. I have no hard evidence to prove this but with the minor modifications done so far, it's not worth the stress to fret over what is likely a non issue. Since you decatted the headers, the proportional amount of flow out of each cylinder remained the same, though total volume will have increased. That said, if the proportions are the same, there was probably some design reason to choose a smaller baffle on the left than the right and I suspect that was made based on the proportion of flow from left to right vs total flow from both.

Thanks for your reply...actually the bigger baffle is on the left, not the right. According to the people at Rush, the rationale is to shunt more exhaust to the left to discourage pipe discoloration, related to the cat. Since the cat is no more, I wondered if the difference in the baffle size would make any difference as far as backpressure and/or performance is concerned

Back