free website stats program Question about Screamin Eagle Kits | Harley Davidson Forums

Question about Screamin Eagle Kits

softail10

I have a fatboy lo with a 96 C.I. engine and im considering having a Screamin Eagle 110 C.I. kit installed and was wondering if anyone has had this done? also if the end result is justified by the price??

I haven't done it but what I have read I think you would save a bundle if you went with a 103 kit with a good set of cams. No machine work and everything will bolt right in.

I would also go with the 103. The 103 doesn't seem to have the heat issues that the 110 has.

I haven't done it but what I have read I think you would save a bundle if you went with a 103 kit with a good set of cams. No machine work and everything will bolt right in.
What cams would you recommend, Joe?
BTW, I have the 88, 1450 on my "03 Ultra. Would that same set up work in it?

What cams would you recommend, Joe?
BTW, I have the 88, 1450 on my "03 Ultra. Would that same set up work in it?

The 103 setup will not work on the 88. I think the best you can do on the 88 would be a 95 ci kit. The 96, 103 and 110 have longer strokes than the 88.

Did You Know:? AND I do think I'm correct here...

The Newer 96" TC motor has the same diameter pistons as the stock 88" TC motor...

BUT:
The piston pin has been moved UP so the longer Rod length (4.375) can be used...(stroker) That is what makes it from 88" to 96"

The 95"TC (upgraded from 88") piston is the same diameter as the 103" TC piston, BUT the piston pin Again is moved up to Allow the increase in stroke for the 3/8 longer rod on the newer TC motors...

Pre 07 TC's (and pre 06 dyna's) have a 4" stroke ...

The Newer TC 07 (06 dyna's) and UP have a 4.375 stroke...

So Harley made a stroker motor and cheated in my book by changing the piston Pins and skirts to accept the longer rod length..

Truly would have been better Making LESS Heat Issues IF HD would of left the wrist pins alone, keeping the needed length on the skirts and top of piston for the stroker motor... lengthening the cylinder length to 3/8 longer...

The Newer TC motors needed Cylinder lengths to be increased by 3/8 of an inch (.375) to make a GOOD stroker motor... Using the standard pistons..

Just My opinions here..

signed....BUBBIE

Another note that can be of some THINKING Help to understand...

Did you Know:

The Older TC 88' cylinder CAN be used on a TC 96" as a replacement cylinder? (same size and same 88" bore)

and a bored 95" older TC cylinder will fit also going 103" on the Newer TC bikes of today..

BUT the pistons are the only NON inner-changable items here.

On ANY KITS:

The big Problem I have seen is that the piston clearances on MOST are on the High Side...

IF you want Good results I have LISTENED to many builders and have done this myself:

Take down YOUR engine Have the Bought pistons and take them with your cylinders to a boring shop.(if doing your own work) OR instruct the one doing the work the same.

The "machinist" Torque Plate bores and Needs the pistons to INDIVIDUALLY fit them to the new bore.

KIT's are sometimes SLOPPY and I would prefer this method as to the "One Size Fits All" approach that Kits USUALLY have.

Your used cylinders are Called Seasoned.... Making them the BEST ones to use NOT New ones in a kit...

Take the time to do this Upgrade and Not toss Pre-made parts at it and You'll get a better job done that will satisfy you by lasting a Longer & Problem Free..

Many builders out there to choose from and your local area will have a good wrench... Personally I stay away from the HD shops. They do it the HD way and sometimes that is NOT the best.

signed....BUBBIE

Back