free website stats program Question About Removing Fairing Cap & Switches; '04 FLHTC | Harley Davidson Forums

Question About Removing Fairing Cap & Switches; '04 FLHTC

Rod Stewart

Hi All;
I want to retrofit cruise control in my '04 Classic, and I cant seem to get the Ignition knob to come out, so I can remove the fairing cap and switches. I am following the procedure on page 8-61 in the '07 touring service manual, which I assume is the same for '04's. Everything goes well until step 2.c where it says "Lift and remove knob." No dice; won't pull up. Locked solid. Is there something I am missing?
Thanks for any help.
Rod

Breeze3at; thanks for that video link. When watching it I note that the knob must be turned to the accessory position before pulling it up. That is different from the '07 procedure, and may also apply to the '04. So I will give that a try next and see what's up.
Thanks; wish me luck! ;)
Rod

Sure enough that video procedure worked like a charm.
I guess there must have been a change in the procedure sometime between '04 and '07 model years.
Thanks again!
Rod

HD makes so many small changes between years it's hard to keep up. That's what you need to be aware of ahead of time if you swap different year engine trans./frame/wiring. Glad it worked for you.

HD makes so many small changes between years it's hard to keep up. That's what you need to be aware of ahead of time if you swap different year engine trans./frame/wiring. Glad it worked for you.

I hear you. Makes a good case for having the correct year service manual.
I am kind of wondering if my potential plan to retrofit the '07 103" engine and tranny into the '04 might cause way more headaches than it would be worth! :eek:

Rod

What if you aproched this as a frame swap.
You have all the electrical from the 07 including the ecm don't you?

What if you aproched this as a frame swap.
You have all the electrical from the 07 including the ecm don't you?

joel; that would probably be the better way for sure. Unfortunately I have sold the '07 frame and all running gear already, and all the main wiring went with it. I do have the ECM however.

Back