free website stats program Question About Measuring Crank Runout | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Question About Measuring Crank Runout

.001" is really good for an 07 IMO. Almost like the Moco made mistake on that one.

'07 was the first year the MoCo outsourced the crank manufacture to an off shore supplier; could be China or Taiwan, not sure. Also the first year the MoCo raised the warranty runout spec from .003" to .012", no doubt anticipating quality issues. The incidence of crank failures in the '07 model year was not a pandemic but higher than in previous years and years since because the new supplier did have some quality issues. The runout on my '02 FXSTD was .0025" when I installed geared cams; 25K miles of hard riding and no change. Rod now has a baseline and can keep an eye on his crank by checking in the future which was a worthwhile exercise.

When my 07 Streetbob grenaded I was able to ride it to the shop. The MOCO sent a rep down to check it, he said it was impossible to measure the runout as it was too large a number, it cracked the cam plate and oil pump sending debris thru the engine, I saw the pistons they looked like they were sand blasted, Glad I had ESP

Back