free website stats program Question About Measuring Crank Runout | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Question About Measuring Crank Runout

You are correct, the cam, cam plate, lifters and pushrods do not have to be removed.
Make sure to remove plugs and rotate rear tire in 5th or 6th gear.

Make sure to rotate in the same direction, try not to rock it back and forth

If you think about it, with the gears/sprockets removed from the front of the cam support plate then there is nothing to turn the cams over. They are driven by the gear/sprocket on the pinion shaft to the rear cam by the chain you removed. Your valve clearance is already there.
tourbox

If you are going in to measure the runout, why not change out the cam shaft inner bearings while there (unless this has already been done)? I feel that anytime you are in the nose cone that far, it is worth just a bit more to get rid of the OEM bearings and replace them with the Torringtons/Timkens (or whatever they are called now!!).

Cheers,

TQ

If you think about it, with the gears/sprockets removed from the front of the cam support plate then there is nothing to turn the cams over. They are driven by the gear/sprocket on the pinion shaft to the rear cam by the chain you removed. Your valve clearance is already there.
tourbox
tourbox;
I get your drift for sure. But depending where the cams are in their cycle when the sprockets are removed, one valve or more may be partially, or fully open. And now you are rotating the crank and pistons (with the valves frozen) to check runout. Thus my question.
Academic anyway. Earlier today I did the check and found a total crank spindle runout of about .001"
I figure this is not a big worry so I am putting her back together. At least now I know.
Many thanks to all who read this post and contributed valuable information and ideas. :D
This is a great forum. All the best!
Rod

Gotcha on the valves. I usually have everything out of the nose cone so never gave that much thought. Sounds like you have very little runout & good for the gear drives.
tourbox

Forgot to mention, I was also pleased to see no metal shavings, fragments, or any foreign stuff of any kind in the cam case.
That was really good news. ;)

Now you have a baseline of .001" to compare with future measurements to verify the stability of the crank.;)

Back