free website stats program question about electrical | Harley Davidson Forums

question about electrical

I have just purchased Hawg Wired amp/speakers, the new HD LED head lamp, and the combo brake/tail light for my 2011 FLHX103.

At what point or how do I check to make sure I’m not adding more current draw than I’m able to charge back at?

I presume the paperwork with the new equipment gives the power requirements. A shop manual gives the draw for all of the factory equipment. Add it all up. Does it exceed the alternator output?

I don't know the exact answer to the question but, I do know that HD Led headlamp is gonna save you some amps because it draws much less than the stock headlamp.

Bodeen

Best way is to use a current shunt or inductive amp probe. A regulator or stator is not going to last if your driving a 38 amp system to 34 amps all the time.
Don't forget to factor in the age of the battery. With each and every day that goes by, the amp/hour capacity of the battery falls just a little bit. Something has to make up for that lost capacity.

I often wonder why so many people find it to be a contest to see just how many years they can "wrench" out of a battery. That's a sure way to deep six your regulator & stator.

Especially for those who don't do their own repairs/labor. Spending $600 to save $25 (cost of battery divided by years of use) does not make a lot of sense to me.

Don't forget to factor in the age of the battery. With each and every day that goes by, the amp/hour capacity of the battery falls just a little bit. Something has to make up for that lost capacity.

I often wonder why so many people find it to be a contest to see just how many years they can "wrench" out of a battery. That's a sure way to deep six your regulator & stator.

Especially for those who don't do their own repairs/labor. Spending $600 to save $25 (cost of battery divided by years of use) does not make a lot of sense to me.

Hoople - thanks for this awesome post. I have never considered this aspect of battery age. I keep mine on a tender and just figured I was good to keep using it until it died. Older battery putting an extra load on the system makes a lot of sense now that you've pointed it out. Guess I'll be getting a new battery real soon!

Thanks Hoople I guess there will be a lot of us reevaluating or battery life.

had speedo hicups/and hard starting on my Triumph st 1050 phoned dealer he asked me how long I'd had the battery " 3 years" i reply. Raucous laughter from dealer.." 3 years!!!!! you did well..mostly they only last 2 !!!!

Perhaps the $180+ price at the dealer convinces many that they can squeeze another season out of their battery.

Don't think I have ever paid that much at HD. Last one for the RG was $83.

Back