free website stats program Puzzling question | Harley Davidson Forums

Puzzling question

BenDiem

Greetings all,

I've always wanted to ask the question, so here goes...

While riding all of my H-Ds on highways at speeds over 65 mph, what and where does the very small bits of liquid hitting me on my face, legs, arms, clothes come from?

In other words, I realize the bike is air-cooled with no radiators in sight, so why am I getting "spit on" while riding?

Is it oil coming from somewhere (air filter)? Is it from cars leaking some fluid while I'm traveling behind them?

Is it small/minute particles of gas coming from under the tank?

Insects splattering?

I get home and I see no visible signs of bug splatter, no oil or gas smells on me or my clothes -- nothing??? Where and what is causing this small spitting effect?

Can anyone answer this, pls?

Tks/Cheers,

B

I've noticed this before too. I've gotten used to it.

I think it's just from the air... I notice it more when it's humid out.

You can let your imagination go wild on this one. I think the worst is being behind someone who chews:p

My guess is that it is from the exhaust pipe from the auto in front of you. Water is produced when an engine compresses air in the cylinder. Just like when you open the drain on the bottom of an air compressor after it has run a while. The moisture comes out of the air. That's why you see water dripping from the tail pipe of a car once in a while.

Now you see why some of old timers will not ride with out a windshield...:newsmile100:
Moisture, moisture in the air it can come from anywhere.........

You can let your imagination go wild on this one. I think the worst is being behind someone who chews:p

I think the worst was being stuck behind a garbage truck spraying hydraulic/trans oil at 55 mph with a good headwind. That stuff does not come off very easily and makes everything smudgy.

Around here the water is usually falling from the sky and being driven by the wind and is often sore when it hits the face drop visor and all is well
However in humid areas water droplets can occur when the warm air contacts a surface cooler than itself and moisture in the air condenses into water droplets

Brian

I find here in Florida it seems to be the trees sweating

Back