free website stats program Putting a new seat on my 2009 street bob | Harley Davidson Forums

Putting a new seat on my 2009 street bob

hoop

I bought a bandlander seat for two people but I like the solo seat I would like to chanage them out when I ride solo is this going to be a big thing when I want to chanage the seats?Do I put the seat bumpers on the seat it self or on the finder??please help

I bought a bandlander seat for two people but I like the solo seat I would like to chanage them out when I ride solo is this going to be a big thing when I want to chanage the seats?Do I put the seat bumpers on the seat it self or on the finder??please help

The seat bumpers are supposed to go on the fender itself. I would assume you could put them on the seat as well, just not sure how well they will stick. I was trying to decide how I was going to do mine as well. I am thinking I am just going to fold up a soft small towel and use that.

My wife complained about my seats so much, I kicked her off and she now has her own ride. Before this, I was switching seats a lot. I did as Dadz suggested and placed the bumper pads on the seat pan itself.

Be careful doing this. The pads get dirt on them so when you mount the seat on the bike, the dirt is wedged between the bumper pad and the paint. Then you and a passenger apply weight and movement which grinds it into the paint job.

I was careful to always wipe down the fender surface and the face of the bumper pads before mounting. I also folder a microfiber cloth longways and placed it between the fender and the seat. This worked well for me.

The bumper kits are about six bucks at the dealer. I kept an extra kit on hand in case I lost a pad. Also a good idea to wipe the seat pan down with rubbing alcohol before adhering the pads.

I've been thinking about the same. My springer had a removable pillion seat and had the pads on the seat and stick on clear plastic (e.g. 3M) over the guard (from the factory). Didn't look too bad and could work on the Bob too.

You can't even see it unless you are next to the bike.

whiterider-albums-old_rides-picture125-jack_roxy_and_the_springer.jpg

Last edited:
The bumper kit is not worth getting ..yes you can stick them on the under side of the seat but your better of just using a sponge or cut a piece of carpet to lay on the fender so you dont rub your paint and change the seat out every time you go solo...........

Hellboy, do you think the sponge is better than the microfiber towel? Is that what you used? I'm really worried about scratching the fender. But you had good luck?

I did exactly what Whiterider suggests. The bumper kit is cheap, and the clear plastic on the fender is not visible when you take your two-up seat off.

HI, i have already done this and put the bumper kit onto the fender as i leave the dual seat on. there is slight movement constantly with any seat and if you dont use the bumper kit you will simply rub the paint off. you can put them onto the seat. as the sticky side is very strong and they will not come off, just make sure where you stick them is dry, clean and free from any polish. also when you fit the nut bolt to fender, i was told 1.5 to 2 hrs labour to remove suspension to do this. thats bollocks and a rip off. just use a plastic tie wrap. slide underside of bolt onto tie wrap. offer tie wrap from underside of fender with rear wheel still on. pull end of tie wrap up thru hole in fender till bolt pops thru. pop your circlip on. pull out tie wrap from underneath and hey presto, job done. just screw fix seat on in normal way.
hope this helps.
Jonny Boy

Back