free website stats program push rod seals on a shovel ? | Harley Davidson Forums

push rod seals on a shovel ?

TRIPPSTER

I checked the self help area, and could not download anything. so here is my deal. My rear exhaust pipe has more oil on it than the inside of my crankcase. LOL seriously though, The pushrod seals are shot. this bike sat around for years with next to no miles on it. I get it for a good price and ride the living daylights out of it. I am picking up the seals and tappet gaskets in the next couple of days,( waiting on the rain to work on her ). My question is, do I have to remove the heads to do all this or not. If I do, I should just do all the seals and gaskets now. not that I can afford to nor have the time. any info would be great.

Thank you.

Feeling like a knucklehead about my shovelhead !

I checked the self help area, and could not download anything. so here is my deal. My rear exhaust pipe has more oil on it than the inside of my crankcase. LOL seriously though, The pushrod seals are shot. this bike sat around for years with next to no miles on it. I get it for a good price and ride the living daylights out of it. I am picking up the seals and tappet gaskets in the next couple of days,( waiting on the rain to work on her ). My question is, do I have to remove the heads to do all this or not. If I do, I should just do all the seals and gaskets now. not that I can afford to nor have the time. any info would be great.

Thank you.

Feeling like a knucklehead about my shovelhead !

Harley Davidson Community No you do not have to remove the heads, tho I would check the rear head gasket, they are prone to leaking, if this is the case might as well do them both, clean the overhead tappet screen , no need to change the tappet gaskets unless they are leaking, if you remove the tappets make sure you reinstall them correctly or the tappets will not pump up

Be sure to mark the pushrods so they go back where they came from. Do you have a manual? Adjusting them properly is almost a lost art. I wouldn't remove the tappet blocks unless its a bad leak from either one. Also, depending on the year, you may need tappet block alignment screws to get them back in properly.

Back