free website stats program Push Rod Leak? | Harley Davidson Forums

Push Rod Leak?

Been searching old threads and find many closed on this issue, but not exactly what I am seeing. On the front cylinder, I am getting oil that puddling and flowing over to spark plug side of the motor. On a hot day, pushing the bike hard, I get a puddle of oil around the spark plug. Lots of oil spray on the air cleaner and exhaust too.

I think it is coming from the top O-ring on the push rod? Would that be right? I don't know which push rod though.

Does this mean that I have to change the o-rings? I have stock push rods and 33,000 miles on a '98 EVO. Probably a good time to swap over to EZ Adjust push rods, eh?

Thanks for the help.

Try reseating them first, un do the pushrod clips and give the tubes a bit of lapping

lapping ? Not sure what that means or do you mean tapping

No lapping like spinning the tubes against the gaskets to reseat them some times the tubes get a bit cocked and this does work some times IE sometimes

OK, I pulled one of tube covers off and found oil, and then pulled the tube down from the head, then cleaned it up and spun it around. I did not have my mirror to look up under the head to see if I could see the PR and the O-ring. I will do the other, clean them up, and go from there.

Stock PR's and I have a manual. I am comfortable doing the job myself. I have read all that I could find on this site about it and the guys did a great job explaining everything from TPI to bleed down. I learned alot.

Any recommendations on PR choice? There are alot to choose from. My bike has SE air filter, slip-ons, street ignition, SE11 cam, thunderslide and was tuned on a dyno.

Thanks

Stock PR's and I have a manual. I am comfortable doing the job myself. I have read all that I could find on this site about it and the guys did a great job explaining everything from TPI to bleed down. I learned alot.

Any recommendations on PR choice? There are alot to choose from. My bike has SE air filter, slip-ons, street ignition, SE11 cam, thunderslide and was tuned on a dyno.

Thanks

SE would be a good choice IMO Good Luck and check back:D

Took the covers off, cleaned the o-rings and it still leaks. Looks like I will be changing the O-rings, which means new PR installation. Will the OEM covers still work?

Back