Push Rod Leak?

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by ConvertRider, Oct 6, 2010.

1. ConvertRider

ConvertRider Member

Been searching old threads and find many closed on this issue, but not exactly what I am seeing. On the front cylinder, I am getting oil that puddling and flowing over to spark plug side of the motor. On a hot day, pushing the bike hard, I get a puddle of oil around the spark plug. Lots of oil spray on the air cleaner and exhaust too.

I think it is coming from the top O-ring on the push rod? Would that be right? I don't know which push rod though.

Does this mean that I have to change the o-rings? I have stock push rods and 33,000 miles on a '98 EVO. Probably a good time to swap over to EZ Adjust push rods, eh?

Thanks for the help.

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Try reseating them first, un do the pushrod clips and give the tubes a bit of lapping

3. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

lapping ? Not sure what that means or do you mean tapping

4. Jack Klarich

No lapping like spinning the tubes against the gaskets to reseat them some times the tubes get a bit cocked and this does work some times IE sometimes

5. ConvertRider

ConvertRider Member

OK, I pulled one of tube covers off and found oil, and then pulled the tube down from the head, then cleaned it up and spun it around. I did not have my mirror to look up under the head to see if I could see the PR and the O-ring. I will do the other, clean them up, and go from there.

6. dangerdan

dangerdan Junior Member

Thanks Jack.

7. Jack Klarich

OK, if that does not work you will be changing all the gaskets do you have adjustable push rods and a Manual? Jack

8. ConvertRider

ConvertRider Member

Stock PR's and I have a manual. I am comfortable doing the job myself. I have read all that I could find on this site about it and the guys did a great job explaining everything from TPI to bleed down. I learned alot.

Any recommendations on PR choice? There are alot to choose from. My bike has SE air filter, slip-ons, street ignition, SE11 cam, thunderslide and was tuned on a dyno.

Thanks

9. Jack Klarich

SE would be a good choice IMO Good Luck and check back:D

10. ConvertRider

ConvertRider Member

Took the covers off, cleaned the o-rings and it still leaks. Looks like I will be changing the O-rings, which means new PR installation. Will the OEM covers still work?