free website stats program Push Rod Cover is rubbing | Harley Davidson Forums

Push Rod Cover is rubbing

CalgaryBikeBum

Good Morning. Well had a noise in my engine that was driving me nuts. Like almost a knock when Idling up to about 2500 rpm then it seemed to disasappear? (Could be the loud pipes at that point :D ) Decided to start simple and replace the lifters as I had bought new Harley B style ones awhile ago so I took apart the front lifter assy first. Upon getting the front cyl exhaust push rod out i can see it has been rubbing as it has a nice shiney spot on it? These adjustable push rods are the HD ones . They are quite fat. I am certain that is a large part of that noise but until I change back lifters I won't know for sure? So.....after all that long winded details.... if aligning the lifter block (using my tapered oil pump alignment screws) it still has noise/rubbing what can i do to remedy this? I hate to buy new pushrods as these are only a year oil and cost 160 bucks? I heard there is fatter tubes? Anyways ...Suggestions? (a side note)... I was very happy to see that it had been rubbing as it could be the answer to my noises .... : ) thanks for the help folks. :bigsmiley11:

seams to me I had a similar problem once with hd adjustables...
I would check the RUN OUT on the push rods PREFERABLY before you remove them..

set up a dial indicator or ???? to work and see if the turn TRUE... in close to the middle of the rod...

MINE DIDN"T and
I found one WAY OUT OF ROUND and seams to me RUBBING and had worn the tube enough that I replaced it.,,,, I played with the adj. rod and by LOOSENING and re-setting proper adjustment THEN again on the DIAL and it was fine... LOOSENING and A little turn one way or another seamed to align it okay DON'T REMEMBER BUT I may have put it in my press a little??... I HAD to FUDGE a little on the adjustment but it worked fine after that..

remembering back NOW,, i also didn't like the HD fat rods...

signed....BUBBIE

The push rod rub marks are pretty common, a bent push rod can cause the problem, all you need to do is roll it on a plate of glass or marble slab if you're lucky enough to next door to a cemetery. Push rods can show some signs of touching tubes at one time or another, does not mean there's a problem now. There is no aligning lifters like on evo's, one thing that does make a difference is when you torque down the rocker support plates, there is a little movement you can gain by pushing them from one side or to the other, that can give you a little more clearencess for the rods where they go through the heads, this is one reason I like using the tapper push rods, they are thinner at the tops. Unless you have a bent push rod they should be fine.

The thought of seeing some biker checking his pushrods by rolling them around on top of a headstone gave me a good belly laugh.:bigsmiley20: Thanks Chopper, I needed that.:D

Well so far it was only the front cylinder exhaust pushrod that was rubbing but it wasn't just scratched up it was shiny and actually could feel the wear on it with my fingernail. I was thinking about getting the tapered pushrods if I can't get it to stop any other way. Do you use the HD tapered push rods or do you recommend something else Chopper? I know its really not hurting anything but I hate noises and if I can get rid of the ones that are just annoying maybe I can better hear the ones that are more then just annoying. Thanks for your feedback.

I always try to use Genuine Harley parts whenever possible becuse the fit & quality is consistent, but something like push rods there are a lot of quality manufactures making them, so the choice is a personal one or a matter of convenience.

Back