Push button for fuel door

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by turnerbend, Feb 10, 2012.

1. turnerbend

turnerbend Active Member

Removed lock and installed push-button latch on gas tank door. Easy done less than 10 minutes.

Attached Files:

2. Mongo1958

Mongo1958 Junior Member

I did the same think too.:D

3. rhino 2

rhino 2 Active Member

That's the first thing i did on my T/G, I could never understand the reason for a locking cap.??

4. BPD11

BPD11 Member

Been meaning to do that, just never got around to it. Will have to grab the push button so I have it laying around on a day with nothing to do :)

5. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

That's funny,locking cap alright,the lock in that cap is generic,any barrell key will open it.If you don't believe me borrow a friends key to open the lock :lolrolling
    One of the stupidest things HD has done.Too cheap to key them to the bike.

6. kemo

kemo R.I.P

My push button locking gas cap is a real pain. The springs seem to lose their tension and you really have to push deep to get it to release. Personnly I wouldn't spend the money to replace it.
    Ken

7. turnerbend

turnerbend Active Member

You can adjust the tension. It says in the instruction that periodic maint may be needed.

8. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

This might sound corny but I never lock my gas cap. When I first bought my bike there was a fellow there who said he just gently closes his gas cap after filling up without locking it. When he needs to open it he just pushes down on the six o'clock part of the gas cap and it opens right up. I followed his advice and enjoy the convenience of not having to fiddle with my key.Haven't had any problems as far as tampering of siphoning of my gas ( so far :) }.

9. Old Mike

Old Mike Member

I like the looks of the push button plus you can open it with gloves on, having to dig in my pocket for my key seemed pretty dumb to me.

10. JerryL

JerryL Member

Until I decided to but the push button for mine, I just turned the stock lock mechanism backwards(rotated 180°), so that it would just flop down and not lock.