free website stats program Push button for fuel door | Harley Davidson Forums

Push button for fuel door

turnerbend

Removed lock and installed push-button latch on gas tank door. Easy done less than 10 minutes.

Attachments

• DSC02903 (Small).JPG
    DSC02903 (Small).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC02901 (Small).JPG
    DSC02901 (Small).JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC02902 (Small).JPG
    DSC02902 (Small).JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 74
Been meaning to do that, just never got around to it. Will have to grab the push button so I have it laying around on a day with nothing to do :)

That's the first thing i did on my T/G, I could never understand the reason for a locking cap.??

That's funny,locking cap alright,the lock in that cap is generic,any barrell key will open it.If you don't believe me borrow a friends key to open the lock :lolrolling
One of the stupidest things HD has done.Too cheap to key them to the bike.

My push button locking gas cap is a real pain. The springs seem to lose their tension and you really have to push deep to get it to release. Personnly I wouldn't spend the money to replace it.
Ken

My push button locking gas cap is a real pain. The springs seem to lose their tension and you really have to push deep to get it to release. Personnly I wouldn't spend the money to replace it.
Ken

You can adjust the tension. It says in the instruction that periodic maint may be needed.

This might sound corny but I never lock my gas cap. When I first bought my bike there was a fellow there who said he just gently closes his gas cap after filling up without locking it. When he needs to open it he just pushes down on the six o'clock part of the gas cap and it opens right up. I followed his advice and enjoy the convenience of not having to fiddle with my key.Haven't had any problems as far as tampering of siphoning of my gas ( so far :) }.

I like the looks of the push button plus you can open it with gloves on, having to dig in my pocket for my key seemed pretty dumb to me.

This might sound corny but I never lock my gas cap. When I first bought my bike there was a fellow there who said he just gently closes his gas cap after filling up without locking it. When he needs to open it he just pushes down on the six o'clock part of the gas cap and it opens right up. I followed his advice and enjoy the convenience of not having to fiddle with my key.Haven't had any problems as far as tampering of siphoning of my gas ( so far :) }.
Until I decided to but the push button for mine, I just turned the stock lock mechanism backwards(rotated 180°), so that it would just flop down and not lock.

Back