free website stats program Pure American or combo | Harley Davidson Forums

Pure American or combo

Hoople

Account Removed
This is my first HD motorcycle and was wondering if the bikes fasteners, bolts & nuts are all American sizes? Is the bike made up of 100% American sizes or is it sprinkled here and there with a metric size?
I own a late model Ford Mustang GT and it is made up of a mix of American & Metric sizes which drives me crazy when I work on it.
So far, the little I have touched on the Dyna, has been American sizes.

Thanks!

the only metric bolts I know of is on the brake calipers

Most of the fasteners are SAE, however you should always have a full set of BOTH SAE and Metric fasteners, as most all aftermarket accessories you put on MAY use Metric fasteners. Globalization means parts like WildSpirit stated are going to use Metric, as the Brembo brakes that may be on your bike will reflect.

Hate to tell ya, but the fromt end is made by Showa, who is a manufacturer of jap bike front ends. Fasteners on the front end are metric.

Yep...look at the "Phillips" screw oil drain...that "dot" next to it is a dead giveaway that it is metric and your standard phillips (likely #2) will not fit snug in there...one of the reasons WHY most people will strip it out using a by hand plain manual screwdriver. Use an impact screwdriver with snug fitting tip FIRST, the wide body of the tool adds leverage and if necessary as a last resort, the "impact" portion will "break" it loose rather than damage the cross.

Last edited:
Harley Davidson and our space program have something in common. They both out source to the lowest bidder. Be it foreign or domestic.

Wow, Great info.

I am an old timer mechanic and remember the days of pure Metric or Pure American sizes when you worked on something.
O-well. I will just have to get use to it because I do love this bike!

Tks!!

both some of the allen wrench stuff is metric like the fork drain screws on mine that are replacments from the phillips from harley .. then dont forget Torx stuff

When you get the primary cover off, the clutch bolts are 6mm 1-0 with a 10mm head, so I would suggest having both sets of wrenches and sockets if you decide to do your own work

Back