free website stats program pulsing front brake | Harley Davidson Forums

pulsing front brake

gs34

Soooo, Mama and I flew to Texas to spend a couple of weeks with my son and his family.
And, as luck would have it, the weather has been excellent the last few days and being the good dad that I am, I have been exercising the sons FatBoy for him while he's at work.....Hey! that's OK, it needs the exercise and I'm glad to do it for him.
However, I noticed right away that he is getting a pulsing when the front brake is applied. The harder you grab the brake, the heavier the pulse is.
What do you think?....warped rotor? Or should I look somewhere else?
Any thoughts?

Rotor is the simple answer. then you get into hung up pucks and several equally nasty things. better get it checked out.

Thanks guys. I'll take a look tomorrow. He doesn't have a dial indicator, but I might be able to see something if I get the wheel up and just rotate it using a stick taped to the fork leg as a fixed point of reference. If I don't see anything, I'll pull that front caliper and take a look there.
I'll let you know what I find.

You'll see if it is warped by just rotating the wheel. It will get tight and loose as it turns as it contacts the pads.

Well, I finally got around to getting the front wheel off the ground so that I could rotate it freely, and it looks to me like it is warped.
I taped a short piece of dowell rod to the front lower leg and used a feeler gauge between the end of the rod and the face of the rotor to get a rough measurememt. Looks to me to be between .035"-.040" out from the tight spot to the loosest spot.
That makes for a total runout of at least .020".
I would say that would be more than enough to cause a problem.

Yea, that would be the way I would choose to go. I'll make the recommendation to him and he can decide for himself. I don't even know at this point if he wants me to help him change it out or not. Most important lesson I was taught by Uncle Sam....don't volunteer for anything!!!

Back