Pulling front wheel

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by 67wizard, Jun 21, 2011.

1. 67wizard

67wizard Junior Member

Is it necessary to remove both calipers left and right to remove the front wheel? I want to take off the front tire a get it changed, after 33k it is getting down to where I don't want to ride in the heat out here in Vegas. I have an Indy shop that will change it off the bike for $20.00. The book leades me to think only the right side needs to come off.

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

I just replaced my front tire last week. I only pulled the right side caliper, not sure it matters which side you do!

3. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

It will make the job much easier. I always remove both. Be sure to check the thickness of pads and replace if close....

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Much easier and no damage happens if you pull both calipers.

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Once you have the callipers off might be a good idea to give them a good clean and service prior to re fitting

Brian

6. 67wizard

67wizard Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I will pull both calipers and check the pads, clean as needed.

7. Davei91

Davei91 Member

Just did my tire at 13,000 and glade to have it changed, 33,000 is a lot more miles than would want to go. Check the master cylinder cover and gasket while pushing calipers back in, found mine compromised so I replaced the cap with gasket and changed brake fluid as well....

8. 67wizard

67wizard Junior Member

I have seen others post that with the new frames (09-10) the tire milage has been much better. Most of my trips are all highway not much in town (Las Vegas Nv.)