free website stats program Provincial inspection / red deer, alberta harley davidson | Harley Davidson Forums

Provincial inspection / red deer, alberta harley davidson

CVOlover

So I'm new to this game , haven't even rode my bike yet and I'm already a victim of totally being ripped off because of greedy dealership looking for that extra dollar!!!!! It will also be my last dollar spent there as well.

A provincial inspection for a motorcycle is supposed to be the same anywhere in Alberta. Harley davidson tells me because my bike is an american bike I have more inspections, I was like "ok, it is what it is" but the more I thought of it the more I felt that I was getting taken advantage of. So I phone and do a little research on this small and senseless inspection and find out there is no special inspections for my bike and all motorcycles get the same inspection and those are the words from the ALBERTA TRANSPORTATION OF SAFETY. I then confront the dealership on this and they try to tell me they screwed up and that there aren't any extra inspections but the fact that its an american bike!!!!! to me this is just a greedy owner and for me a very disappointed customer that will never shop at this dealership.

Although I was warned about this dealership I still wanted the full harley Davidson experience service and all, Lets just say Ive learnt my lesson very early in this game.

thanks for reading. From a guy that needed to relieve some steam

Steam relived,:s
Not saying this is the reason, But being the Devils Advocate here, Most dealers after getting there heads knocked against the wall by customers on prices 24/7 :wall They're gonna try to get every dollar back from the costumer they can, right or wrong.

Do yourself a favor (favour) and order the HD Factory Service manual and the HD Factory Parts manual for your model and year (on-line, don't go back to that Dealership). If you don't already have some, pick up some basic tools and the few special ones you will need to work on your bike (like a Torx 27 bit, large sockets for the axle nuts, etc.). Do all your own maintenance per the schedule in your Owner's Manual.

For any bigger items, read up on the procedures in the book, and then come on the Forum and check out the self-help pages on the work you want to do. If you are still worried about it, start a thread on what you want to do and what you are worried about. Except for the most involved work (honing cylinders, valve job, truing flywheel, etc.) you will get the help you need to get it done.

The satisfaction you will get from doing the work yourself is like the credit card commercial - PRICELESS!!

TQ

Do yourself a favor (favour) and order the HD Factory Service manual and the HD Factory Parts manual for your model and year (on-line, don't go back to that Dealership). If you don't already have some, pick up some basic tools and the few special ones you will need to work on your bike (like a Torx 27 bit, large sockets for the axle nuts, etc.). Do all your own maintenance per the schedule in your Owner's Manual.

For any bigger items, read up on the procedures in the book, and then come on the Forum and check out the self-help pages on the work you want to do. If you are still worried about it, start a thread on what you want to do and what you are worried about. Except for the most involved work (honing cylinders, valve job, truing flywheel, etc.) you will get the help you need to get it done.

The satisfaction you will get from doing the work yourself is like the credit card commercial - PRICELESS!!

TQ

Great advice TQ but, when it comes to a Provincial Inspection, it MUST be performed by a shop certified to perform the inspection before the bike can be licenced/plated. Same thing in Manitoba before any vehicle or motorcycle can be plated by a new owner.

It attempts to keep less than safe vehicles off the road and in some ways protects the buyer of an unsafe vehicle that has a safety certificate. If as a buyer you have a concern with the safety certificate of the vehicle you've just purchased, you can have it re-inspected and go after the seller if it fails. The seller can either refund your money or must pay for the repairs to bring the vehicle up to snuff. There are people who have a friend issue the certificate of obviously unsafe vehicles.

a Provincial Inspection, it MUST be performed by a shop certified to perform the inspection before the bike can be licenced/plated

Right. Same thing here with State inspections.

But I was not so much talking about that specific situation rather than just the work to keep the bike in top operating condition. The old adage about "if you want something done right, do it yourself" has a lot of merit here.

TQ

from here on out I ll be doing all the mechanical work to my bike, being a millwright has given me enough knowledge to take care of my bike for years to come :) . Plus I have such great support on here to help me through

thanks,

Tyler

If its a Provential required inspection doesn't the Provence state how much may be charged for the inspection?

Here in Ontario I believe it is a set rate that they can charge, but I am not sure as its been a long time since I bought a used bike. You should check with your provincial ministry and get your money back. Then post the dealership name. Here in Ontario I have dealt with Dukes in Chatham and so far they have been great! As a Millwright you should be able to easily perform most of the work. I am an Electrician and find with the right tools and info I do as much as I can. I take my time and learn as I am doing it. My previous ride a 72 FLH was easier to work on.

As a American bike, did it have a RIV (Registered Imported Vehicle) sticker on the frame, that may be one inspection that is required. Also HD dealer has to insure that the vehicle meets any recalls on the bike have been done also Canadian codes regarding lights etc and that must be upgraded and approved by a approved inspection agent (in Manitoba it is Canadian Tire, believe it or not).

Just a interesting note, my bike has received a Manitoba Safety and has the RIV, but still has a MPH speedometer.

Canuck

this could be a one time thing...it has been over 20yrs but when i was riding out of Alberta i don't recall ever having to do this. so my bike at the time must have been done by the original owner

Back