free website stats program Protective Film Removal From Fender | Harley Davidson Forums

Protective Film Removal From Fender

gasbag

Hello,

I have a 2006 Heritage. My son and I are removing the bags, bars, pillion seat etc. while we do some work on the bags and a few other things. We are not going to put the pillion seat, passenger footpegs, backrest and luggage rack back on, but install an over the fender rack which fits right behind the main seat.

My problem is: underneath the pillion, on the fender, there is a clear plastic film installed to protect the fender from the seat. It is obviously a factory piece and it is tough stuff. It is thicker than your average film and I can't even pry up an edge to see if it is removable. It is really ugly and it will show since I am removing the passenger seat.

Has anyone ever successfully removed this piece? Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
should come loose with some heat but don't use too much heat as may damage the paint
you may well end up with some glue residue on the paint some white spirit or paint thinners will remove the glue but don't rub too hard as you could end up damaging the paintwork

Brian

Hairdryer; i would avoid the heat gun it's to easy to apply to much heat with one which could blister the paint. If you have a halogen light on a stand you could use that. Just sit it close enough that you can feel the heat hit the fender ,should take put a few minutes to soften it up. It also works great for removing contact paper from selves.

Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to go steal my wife's hair dryer tomorrow and see if I can make any progress.
It's just weird, the last thing I expected to see under that seat was a sheet of plastic.

Everyone have a good day and ride safe.

i removed mine with a heat gun, and used some goof off for the leftover sticky stuff. you're not going to hurt the paint unless you point a heat gun at it for a LONG time. it doesn't take long to get that thing heated up enough to remove - you'll melt the protector before the paint gets damaged.

some one had discussed few days back about how to remove show soal mark from the silenser and the solution was to use hand wash soap.
I am not at all sure about how it will help you but try it once may be it works.

Noddy

I find that some heat applied removes the coating well followed by some adhesive remover or WD 40 if there is any residue left.

Back