protective covers for touring saddlebags

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Billbo, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Billbo

Billbo Junior Member

Hey everyone again. I have a BLACK RK and no matter how HARD I try, my dang boot drags over the top of the bags when dismounting. I hate that too!
    I am careful but my big foot just hits from time to time. Im asking about the Mustang saddlebag covers. From what I have read they appear to be the best fitting and looking. Does anyone have any input regarding saddlebag covers? how about the 3M clear plastic stuff?
    Thanks
    Bill

2. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

I've got the HD covers and the HD cover for the tour pac.
    I don't have any problems and like them.

3. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

4. NELS

NELS Member

I use the 3m for protection for the same reason you need .(EDIT) to make templates but once done they look good. The plastic makes a little difference as it appears like looking through water but that is to me only and no one has ever mentioned seeing it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  5. Billbo

Billbo Junior Member

Thanks all for replys. Think I will go look at the HD ones before I get the Mustang covers. Seems I read the HD ones may be difficult to install.. not sure tho.
    Always appreciate the input here :D

Bill

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
  6. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Personally I would go with the clear ones. I think the leather type ones change the looks to much unless bike is black...

7. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

They are a little bit of a pain to install. I took the lids off and brought them in the house so I could lay them out on the carpeting. Then clean inside with rubbing alcohol where the Velcro strips need to be. Then you need to center the cover and do some stretching to get it tight to the lid. It's not really too bad.
    One of the Mustang reviews at JP said No Velcro, they slip on..?? Mustang is Know for decent stuff tho.
    The T-bags is contoured, so they (look to from pictures) fit good without the stretching.

I like the look on mine :D
    03 king.jpg

8. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Bill; Back in 2009, when I bought my FLHX, one of the first accessories I researched was lid covers. The bike was new, in showroom, and already had some "boot drag" scratches and I made dealer buff them out. I liked HD and Mustang, but ended up getting Ride Tek covers because I wanted sleek/simple. Here's the site and another option to assess: Harley Saddlebag Covers, Lid Protectors, and Harley Cargo Bags by Ridetek

9. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

All the info on the different covers is great and I'm sure it is more of a personal taste thing to choose one over the other. At 68 I too have to watch how I pick my leg up over the bike. What I have found that works for me is to mount he bike from the right side. This makes me lift my leg over the right saddlebag (it's sticking up higher with the bike on the stand) and seems to help with not dragging my boot over the left bag which is lower. Might not work for everyone but it does for me.

10. kstrohs57

kstrohs57 Active Member

My 13 limited had no protection on the saddle bags & the previous owner put a big scuff on the front corner(that I removed now) but after 1 week with no saddle bags covers or rails & purchased the bag rail covers from my local Harley dealer & installed them in about hour . I personaly would rather look @ chrome rail protectors then some black plastic covers & have similar protection . You can go 1 step farther with the rails & mount the emblem in front -(CLASSIC OR LIMITED) looks great .