free website stats program Protection bike on open trailer while traveling? | Harley Davidson Forums

Protection bike on open trailer while traveling?

flhtdan

I would like to trailer (open trailer) my bike to AZ from Iowa this winter but don't want it all covered with salt when I get there. Any sugestions how to protect it? I thought of wrapping it in that clear plastic wrap they use to bind up stuff on pallets?

Shrink wrap would work ,but removing it without doing damage? What if it gets loose and flaps in the wind.Better to wash the salt off in AZ.

I guess it would depend on the weather conditions while making the trip as to how much damage is caused by the salt pellets, road gravel etc.:mad: I don't think that I could bring myself to haul my bike on an open trailer like that, but to each his own. Lots of people use open trailers, lets hear from them.

Maybe a layer of saran wrap on the painted surfaces followed by a large moving blanket securly tied on so it won't allow it to flap in the wind, and a tarp over that to keep it dry.

Why dont you buy a cheapo bike cover and finish all the loose openings off by securing everything with duct tape.

Better yet use the cheap bike cover, wrap it in shrink wrap and duct tape the wrap ends so they dont flap in the wind.

Last edited by a moderator:
From my experience with a cover on a long haul, and I only did it once, I'd be inclined to rent an enclosed trailer, or haul it open.
But that was before shrink wrap, however, even a flutter against paint will wear, eventually.
Good luck & happy trails!

Tarp over the top.As long as it has grommets,and the bike is lower than the top edge of the trailer.If that's the kind of open trailer you mean.

If it were me doing this I would not wrap the bike as when the temperature changes the air inside the wrapping would warm up much quicker than the metal on the bike so the bike would get wet with condensation and perhaps rust a wee bit quicker
I would try to create some sort of deflector on the trailer to prevent the worst of the throw up from the towing vehicle wheels from hitting the bike

Brian

Or you could rent a bike when you get there and not worry about the trip down and back

Back