free website stats program protecting rear fender with 2 up seat | Harley Davidson Forums

protecting rear fender with 2 up seat

i will be periodically switching between solo & 2 up seats on my street bob but i have read & also expect that the bottom of the 2 up seat will rub & mark the fender in places.
i know one option to stop this is sticking something on to the fender to protect it which will be there permanently but i dont want to do that as i dont think it will look too good whilst riding solo so I'm looking for options & solutions which you guys found did the job successfully.

thanks in advance.

Here's what someone recommended to me in a thread long ago:

"Try 3M™ Scotchcal Paint Protection Film. It would work great to protect your paint."

I have switched back and forth with several seats and never caused any problems with the fender finish. However, if you have a seat that has the base pan exposed or not enough fender padding, you might consider some heavy felt material and spray glue to "carpet" the seat pan instead of applying anything to your fender.

I agree also, put something on the seat. I had a fatboy with the 3m on the fender, and when you took the seat off, the 3m looked horrible, and it started to change to a yellow color over time. not to mention it collected dirt

i heard of people gluing a mouse mat to the underside of the seat but will it get too hot & maybe melt the glue or make the foam stick to the paint? if this is a good option then which side of the mat should be glued to the seat (the black foam side which normally touches your desk of the harder side which normally touches your mouse) & which side should be sitting on the fender? or does it not really matter?

My H-D two up seat had rubber pads about one inch square glued to the bottom of the seat pan. I just have a solo seat now, but I do not notice any marks on my fender. I'm not sure if they were factory pads or not.

The thing about putting something on the seat is that no matter how smooth it is, if dust or dirt get in there it will act like a scouring pad at worse or jewlers rouge at best and put swirls on it, hense the 3M scotch tape, not as elegant but will not slip and slide.

The thing about putting something on the seat is that no matter how smooth it is, if dust or dirt get in there it will act like a scouring pad at worse or jewlers rouge at best and put swirls on it, hense the 3M scotch tape, not as elegant but will not slip and slide.

Thats a great idea :s

Nothing says you can't hedge your bets and do both - protective film on the fender and soft, cushioning material on the bottom of the seat.

Back