Protect fender from saddle bags.

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by lowrider1963, May 5, 2010.

1. lowrider1963

lowrider1963 Active Member

I am putting throw over saddle bags on my 2010 FXDC and do not want to scratch the paint on the fender. Any ideas how to protect paint from rubbing or scratches?

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

I cut the leg off a pair of sweat pants, turned soft side out, and put it under the saddlebag yoke. I poked a couple of holes in the legs and laced it a little so it can't slip. Still there after 16 years. :s

3. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

Used a piece of soft leather for many years, it works well.Another option would be clear vynel.Any graphics/sign shop can cut you a square to apply to the rear fender.

If the bags will be going on alot, this is a good option.When the vynel gets scuffed up simply remove it and apply another piece.

4. lowrider1963

whatyardwork

How thick should the vinyl be for best protection?

whatyardwork

Where did you get a scrape piece of leather to use on your fender?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2010
  5. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

The idia behind the clear vynel is that its very thin.Maybe as thick again as the clear thats already on the bike.

If you have any local leather dealer they can hook you up.

6. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

The shop that sprayed my truck bedliner also "sheets" vehicles with clear plastic. They have a computerized cutter & can wrap your entire car, truck, van...etc. to protect it from the elements. Maybe you can find one in your area (look in yellow pages for vehice wraps) & see if they can cover your fender. I wouldn't think it would be too $pendy...Good Luck!

7. lowrider1963

Great, thanks for the info!

8. rick1062

rick1062 Active Member

Great idea!:p

9. Mattman4403

Mattman4403 Junior Member

Riders warehouse has some precut squares of vinyl. I think two big squares are about $12.00. You may be able to look around a bit and find something cheaper. I use a piect on top of my left saddlebag to keep it from getting scuffed when my wife gets on.

10. shovelhead98

shovelhead98 New Member

mastercylinder rebuild help!!!

need help to rebuild rear brake master cylinder need diagram 1978 flh