free website stats program Progressive Touring Link Chassis Stabilizer Install Question/Resulting Exhaust Leak Issue | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Progressive Touring Link Chassis Stabilizer Install Question/Resulting Exhaust Leak Issue

Doc,
I sure hope this mod is going to be all the world of difference in handling .......... Sheesh! This is being a tough one...

!/4" with a wobble works for me too. I can even get it past the heart shield if I hold my mouth just right....

Doc,
I sure hope this mod is going to be all the world of difference in handling .......... Sheesh! This is being a tough one...

Here's the funny thing. I've never experienced the bagger wobble so I really had no justification for installing this stabilizer. I was already buying front and rear shocks from Progressive to upgrade my bike so I threw in the stabilizer without even thinking much about it - the video says it's a one hour job, right? I'm still laughing about that claim!

Even if I don't feel a lick of difference, I'm really glad I've been able to work through this job with the help of everyone on the forum. It's been a real challenge for me (living at the lower end of the tool aptitude scale like I do) but when I feel myself on the verge of cussing and throwing things, I simply call it a day and come into the house to find something else to do. That's why a job that you guys could knock out in a couple hours has taken me days instead. But I've definitely learned a bunch about how the exhaust is designed and attached to the bike.

It's also been an interesting role reversal for me. Normally, as a moderator, I read all these threads where folks are doing stuff to their bikes, run into various issues, and eventually get things sorted out with the aid of the many smart members on this forum. I want to emphasize the READ part - I seldom contribute because I'm just not that confident to jump in and comment about some of the awesome projects being undertaken. This last week, I've been the one running into all the issues and I couldn't have gotten through this project without the help and encouragement of everyone that's posted.

Sorry for the long rant but I've had a lot of these interesting perspectives wandering through my brain lately and I wanted to see them in black and white.

Thanks, everyone! :worthy

Every time you turn a bolt or nut you are learning something and as time goes on you may get more ambitious in what you will attempt and every bit of previous experience helps
It is good deal to walk away when you get stuck to re think your strategy or get help and advise
Things are always easier with the correct tools and the more experienced members will have run out from time to time to get the right tool for the job but once you have the tools you can use them again and again
Projects like this are always good to read as I follow your every step through the project and get the chance to throw in the odd wee bit of help where I can
And we do have good members here who will stick with you till it is done they always need as much information as possible to make their assessments
And well done for getting the job done

Brian

Good job Kevin, that is why we come here for help and sharing patience pays off :s

Great job Kevin! The more you do the more comfortable you'll be with the next project. This is how it starts/started for many of us....

Yes Doc, I can relate. :) But, I can be intimidated and like you, I have found that walking away is sometimes the best option, as usually when I return, I can see what I was missing before.

But, your patience and determination and the great help from the knowledgeable ones here can help you accomplish anything, and encourage us all to tackle something new. Congrats!:)

To Brian, Jack, Jeff, and Joy - I truly appreciate the kudos but I'm afraid they were awarded prematurely.

I went out and bought the 1/4 inch drive items and socket mentioned in posts #27, 28, 30, and 32. Better but I still can't get 100% of the socket firmly onto the nut. The header pipe sticks down in that area just enough to interfere with the socket getting a hold of the very top of the nut.

Between my newly purchased items and the crow's foot I mentioned earlier I thought I had it tight enough. However, when I started the bike up, there's a significant leak right at the rear header exhaust flange. I feel like those nuts are pretty tight so this leads me to believe that the gasket got disconfigured enough to cause the leak, even with the flange properly tightened. I didn't put a new gasket in because I never really had the header all the way off the studs but now my conscience is starting to make me regret that decision.

So, is everyone else thinking it's a gasket problem?

Much as I hate to remove the exhaust again, I think I can do it fairly quickly now that I've done it once. I've got new exhaust gaskets in the toolbox so maybe I'll replace both if I'm taking everything off.

The more pressing problem will be when I reassemble the exhaust and have to deal with that one nagging nut again. Is it possible while I have the exhaust off to have some kind of metal or machine shop put enough of an indentation in the problem section of the header that the socket will get full access to the nut? I'm sure it's only a matter of a couple millimeters. Would that much of a small dimple affect the flow of the exhaust too negatively? Not that I plan to make exhaust removal part of any kind of monthly routine but I want to be able to get full access to that darn nut!

As a side note, I got so frustrated with all of this that I made an appointment for Hellbender Harley to come get the bike next Tuesday and see what they can do. If I can get some guidance from you folks and decide to dive back in, I can always cancel the service appointment.

Man, sorry for the long post but I had a lot on my mind!

Back