free website stats program Progressive Touring Link Chassis Stabilizer Install Question/Resulting Exhaust Leak Issue | Harley Davidson Forums

Progressive Touring Link Chassis Stabilizer Install Question/Resulting Exhaust Leak Issue

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I'm attempting to install the Progressive Link Chassis Stabilizer on my 2008 FLHX. I'm at the step where you're instructed to remove the right swing arm mount and I can't get the bottom bolt to budge. There's not enough clearance between the head of the bolt and the right side exhaust to fit a socket over so I'm using an open end wrench but it feels like I'm right on the verge of rounding the bolt head off and creating major problems.

1. This bolt isn't reverse threaded for any reason, is it?
2. Do you think someone on the assembly line just went overboard with the loctite and I need to give it a good bath of PB Blaster?
3. Even if I do get it moving, is there enough clearance with the exhaust to remove it or is there no way around removing the right side exhaust to complete this project?
4. The instructions mention loosening the exhaust as an option - I've never done this and I wonder if it's a good idea vs the removal of the exhaust.

Like I said, I've never had my exhaust off and I don't relish doing that but if it makes this project so much easier, I'll do it.

Anyone else done this install and want to chime in with some helpful tips?

Thanks!

Dr, if moving the exhaust will give you room to use a socket I would use that approach, disconnect the battery so there are no surprises an open end wrench is not a good choice IMO as it only supports 2 flats of the hex

It always seems to be a good idea to take a wee short cut when doing a job but many times I have found that getting good access to the fasteners allows you to use the best tools for the job and makes the job quicker and easier
Getting a socket on to a bolt head is always the preferred option but if it has been there a while an impact driver is a good tool to use
The exhaust will be a pest to get apart as it has been together for a wee while and with exhaust gasses road dirt and many heat and cool cycles the exhaust will be stuck together
Some penetrating fluid the evening before you start may be of good assistance but perseverance and a wee bit of brute force often helps

Brian

I gotta agree, the exhaust will be the least of your problems if you round off the bolt.. Yes I'm speaking from experience.:(

I had thought about putting one on but I have gotten real used to the abnormal left hand cornering my bike does LOL!
Kevin listen to the others and remove the exhaust and use a 6 point socket.

Kevin listen to the others and remove the exhaust and use a 6 point socket.

Aye, aye!!! I'd already resigned myself to that conclusion but it's good to see so many knowledgeable people all in agreement!

Back