free website stats program Progressive shocks or air shocks? | Harley Davidson Forums

Progressive shocks or air shocks?

krikket

I've been mulling over a suspension upgrade for my 08 Night Train. I've been tossing up between the 2 and here's what I've come up with:

Progressive 422's
-Definite ride improvement
-cost effective $500
-more reliable
-adjustable

Legend L2 Air suspension
-Best ride improvement
-much more expensive $1200
-Less reliable (an airbag leak on the road would cripple!!)
-Adjustable

I have intentions of taking about 3 long trips next season (7k miles total), so thats' why I'm considering the upgrade. I guess my main question is, Is the air suspension upgrade worth it or is it a waste of money? Anyone have any experience with either?

I've been mulling over a suspension upgrade for my 08 Night Train. I've been tossing up between the 2 and here's what I've come up with:

Progressive 422's
-Definite ride improvement
-cost effective $500
-more reliable
-adjustable

Legend L2 Air suspension
-Best ride improvement
-much more expensive $1200
-Less reliable (an airbag leak on the road would cripple!!)
-Adjustable

I have intentions of taking about 3 long trips next season (7k miles total), so thats' why I'm considering the upgrade. I guess my main question is, Is the air suspension upgrade worth it or is it a waste of money? Anyone have any experience with either?

In these "tougher" economic times and the fact the quantity of your long trips are reasonable but not huge, I would go for the Progressives, IMHO...:sd

I'd go with the progressives too. Air setups on a softail should be for show bikes or cruise night bikes but if you put any serious miles on a bike, like you said, a leak can cripple you.

Will Progressive's make a big enough difference in the ride over the stock shocks?

Last edited:
Most people using them say there is a noticable difference between them and the stock shocks, which aren't a bargain to begin with.

They're definitely no bargain!!! Hence the questions. I'm just trying to get people's opinion on either to determine if the change is significant enough to warrant spending the cash.

I always say when the ride of the stock shocks get's bad enough, then it's time to change them. The again, I never keep anything long enough to feel them loosen up:D

Will Progressive's make a big enough difference in the ride over the stock shocks?

Yes, the Progressives have more adjustment range (preload wise) over stock and are as the name says more "progressive stiffness" with more controlled and higher compression and rebound dampening. This is not just hype, I used them on my metric sportbikes with good results. :)

I got them for my Sporty for two reasons 1.) shorter length for my 30" inseam, 2.) because the wider adjustment range (especially the stiffness) is desirable for more "spirited" riding style, or crank up preload for two-up rideing... try 'em, you won't be sorry! :s

Last edited:
I went with the Progressive's and really like them. I would have liked to go with the air...but couldn't justify the $$. The only problem I have is, I love the look of the bike lowered; but I ride probably a little harder than i should and hate dragging my boards and pipes. So, it would have been nice to be able to adjust my ride height on-the-fly, but again for the cash... At first I had my bike lowered all the way down (2"), almost immediately I raised it back up about an inch. The ride difference is better, feels more stable in almost all conditions.

JR

Back