free website stats program Progressive Shock for Softail | Harley Davidson Forums

Progressive Shock for Softail

Has anyone tried the Progressive 422 shock for a softail? I have a 2007 Heritage and think that the rear shock may need to be replaced and I have read good things about Progressive Shocks on touring bikes but have not been able to find much information on them for Softails. Thanks.

Can't answer your question about the progressive shock but for my own information I am curious how many miles you have on the bike and why you think it needs replacing and have you tried adjusting it yet?

I only have 10,000 miles ont he bike and I am dropping it off for the service at the HD dealership this week. Lately, it seems like at around 75 MPH the bike has a strong vibration. Almost to the point where it blurs my vision. It may be the tires and not the suspension. I bought the bike used about a year ago and I do not know if the previous owner kept the tire pressure where it should be. Based on the service records at the HD dealership where the original owner purchased the bike, the last year he owned it he only put about 150 miles on it.

Like smitty901 I too have a hard time thinking the shocks would need replacing at only 10K miles. I would be looking at the wheels/tires, mis-alignment , out of balance issue, loose spokes, wheel bearings, etc.

I currently have over 26K on my scoot riding mostly 2-up and and have no problems with the stock suspension so far other than making adjustments to the shocks to firm things up a bit.

Can you tell if the vibration is coming from the front or rear?

It feels like it is coming from the rear. My wife said that she really felt the vibration in the back rest the last time we went for a ride. I do not think that the last owner really took care of the tires. He only got 5000 miles on the rear tire before he had it replaced.

It feels like it is coming from the rear. My wife said that she really felt the vibration in the back rest the last time we went for a ride. I do not think that the last owner really took care of the tires. He only got 5000 miles on the rear tire before he had it replaced.

i dream of getting 5000 miles on a rear tire. most mine are gone in the 3000 to 4000 mile range at best.
but i ride hard, coming from sportbikes my whole life, lol

Back