free website stats program Progressive Rear Shocks | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Progressive Rear Shocks

Have any of you guys used the Series 412 or 440 Pregressive shocks to lower the rear of your touring bike? If so, how did you like them?

I put Prog. 440's on my '07 SG not to lower it, but to relieve my butt of the constant hammering from the stock 12" shocks. After about the tenth time my butt got rammed into my Adam's apple by a pothole I knew I had to change. I went to the 12½" 440's with the standard springs and the result was an improvement, but the lack of rebound control and quirky pre-load tweaking made me look elsewhere. I later bought some 13¼" Ohlins #2-3 from Motorcycle Metal and all my problems are solved. They make numerous models of various heights, so I would at least look at this option. The ride is superb, even velvety, the bike never bottoms-out, handling and control are excellent, and I now have rebound control.

I put Prog. 440's on my '07 SG not to lower it, but to relieve my butt of the constant hammering from the stock 12" shocks. After about the tenth time my butt got rammed into my Adam's apple by a pothole I knew I had to change. I went to the 12½" 440's with the standard springs and the result was an improvement, but the lack of rebound control and quirky pre-load tweaking made me look elsewhere. I later bought some 13¼" Ohlins #2-3 from Motorcycle Metal and all my problems are solved. They make numerous models of various heights, so I would at least look at this option. The ride is superb, even velvety, the bike never bottoms-out, handling and control are excellent, and I now have rebound control.

I know iclick from another forum and I believe what he says here. He's not one for spreading rumors and if he says so, it's good enough for me.:s

I just ordered the 412HD for my 09 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. I went with the 12.5 inches cause I wanted to plant my feet more firmly on the ground. Talked with the tech at progressive suspension and they said it would work soooo we will see.

I have just replaced the Air thingees (notice I did not call them shock absorbers) with 412 Progressives. I have used these on my Sportster, Honda Shadow Aero and now my FLTC. HD knows how to make great bikes, but in my opinion, they don't have a clue how to make shock.

I received my progressive 412HD shocks and love them. I went with the 12.5" and can tell a big difference. Even when riding 2up, the ride is really smooth and does not bottom out.

I bought my 98 RoadKing new. I have had problems with the air shocks from the get go. Not holding air even after trips back to the dealer the bike would still bottom out when loaded with passenger and gear going over a bump. Bought Progressives about five years ago and still have the same problem. Out of reflex I find myself standing up on the footboards everytime I cross a railroad track. My wife and I are not that heavy(300lbs combined). I am willing to make one more investment in a new set of rear shocks. Can any body help with some advise on what brand I should consider buying that will stop this pain in the back. I am currently looking at IKON,RICOR, and OHLINS.

I had the same experience with the 412 Standard. Progressive would change to HD but I have to send back and pay shipping both ways and $30. I was not too happy with Progressive people and will not buy anything from them again!! I have a set of 412 Standards sitting on the shelf which I hope my mechanic can sell one day.

Back