free website stats program Progressive Rear Shocks | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Progressive Rear Shocks

...considering changing out the rear shocks on my '01 RKC to a set of "standard duty" 412's. I ride solo 99% of the time, and dont really need the adjustability of air shocks, but would be nice to dial in the pre-load & leave it there. Just looking for a firm, comfortable ride, without messing with air pressures....any input/comments would be helpful:)

...considering changing out the rear shocks on my '01 RKC to a set of "standard duty" 412's. I ride solo 99% of the time, and dont really need the adjustability of air shocks, but would be nice to dial in the pre-load & leave it there. Just looking for a firm, comfortable ride, without messing with air pressures....any input/comments would be helpful:)

I would go with the Heavy spring on the 412s...The standard is a little soft for a bagger even solo...I know a couple guys that have tried 412s with standard springs and ended up having to switch to the heavy spring....They are very happy with the 412 heavy spring...The 440s you can get away with standard springs even two up.

I would go with the Heavy spring on the 412s...The standard is a little soft for a bagger even solo...I know a couple guys that have tried 412s with standard springs and ended up having to switch to the heavy spring....They are very happy with the 412 heavy spring...The 440s you can get away with standard springs even two up.
thanks for the info...was originally leaning towards the HD's, but then reading too many "I shoulda bought the standard duty" threads, I changed my mind. I do like my suspension on the "firmer" side, and weigh about 220 lbs myself, so the HD's may not be a bad idea, especially on the ol' 750 lb rkc:D

Hey Guys, this has been a great thread for me. I have just recently purchased an 09 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. I love the bike but found that I had trouble placing my feet firmly on the ground. I am 5'9", 5'10" on a good day haha. I purchased a lowering kit (bracket) and when I went to put air in the shocks, I used a compressor (I know, I did not do my research. Used the wrong tool for everything.) anyway, I thought I had everything situated and my wife and I went out for a ride. We bottomed out and I had found that the line on the air shock had blown out of the fitting. I purchased the air pump from harley, bought new line and the two fittings going into the shocks. Yet the system still leaks down. I have been told that I might have busted the seals. I thought I would see oil coming out if I did that. How can I test the seals? Also, if I have to get the shocks replaced, I am looking at the progressive shocks. I ride most of the time with my wife (combined total weight approx 400lbs.) what shock would be best to lower it a little and still provide a good ride. Sorry for the long story, but just happy I have found somewhere to get information after looking nearly 3 weeks. Oh by the way, my name is Chris, haha and I am a PROUD Harley Owner. Thanks for any advice/information yall can provide.

Thanks for the link. Is there anyway I can test my airshocks to see if I busted the seal. I would have thought I would see oil leaking out but they are clean. Thanks again.

Thanks for the link. Is there anyway I can test my airshocks to see if I busted the seal. I would have thought I would see oil leaking out but they are clean. Thanks again.

Mix up some soapy water solution. Air shocks to 30 psi with Harley pump and follow lines and brush solution on all fittings and see what happens. Most times when using compressed air you will blow a fitting or schrader valve becomes loose. A guy I know used compressed air and almost immediately the left rear shock started to leak oil. So if no oil on rear tire or around lower mount of shock, hopefully all you have is a blown fitting or line. You may want to consider removing lowering brackets. Probably not the best solution...

Thanks a lot, I have removed the brackets already. I have since replaced the fittings on the shocks as well as the hose so tomorrow I will check out the schrauder valve. This is a great site. Wished I would have found it about a couple of months ago.

I have the 440's 12inch standard springs on my 2009 Street Glide. To be honest They bottom out too easily for me even with them at the 3rd ring on the preload. I weigh 200lbs and sometimes ride 2up. Actually a lot 2 up. We bounce off the seat on the speed bump type obsticalls on the road then bottom out on the dips in the road or leaving my driveway LOL. I can back off preload for the bumps but that doesnt help with the bottoming out GRR!! I wish now I would have bought longer 13 inch shocks or heavy duty springs version. Not sure the HD springs would help with the very short travel of the 440's? Not real happy with the big money for them at them at this point, kinda regret the purchase. Progressive will give me HD springs for a total of 30dollars but I have to send them back to them to do the swap and I no longer have the stock shocks so have to wait till cold weather gets here to do that.

Back