free website stats program Progressive front springs vs Progressive Cartridge System? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Progressive front springs vs Progressive Cartridge System?

I'll source/paraphrase the Progressive rep I met and he said the same thing because I was thinking of buying the lowering monotubes here on the website. He said he would not recommend it because I had bought the stock length of their rear shock. So you want to have the preplanning in place before you buy. I bet Bodeen's point will save some frustration and really it could be a safety issue in certain circumstances.

A good article in the Feb. 2012 issue of Road Iron.
(I'm slow at getting through my magazines....)

They replace the f/r shocks with Works brand shocks.
Same job function. Just a different brand of shocks.
Basically they said the rear, anyone can do it.
Front was a different matter. Let the shop do it.

I dropped my Ultra off Thursday at the dealer for what I thought would be a 4-hour job. That was the guess.
The stuff they had off the bike was far more than any Youtube or magazine article.
Outer fairing, W/S (all expected) but all the guts pulled out of the dash, including the radio!
Lots of items disconnected.
I know he has done it before, just surprised at everything removed.

There was some wear, scuffing on both my fork tubes. Checked the fork tube runout and they were out of limits. (Exceeds 0.008 inch runout).
Bushings needed replacing also. Just wear and tear.....

New bushings and fork tubes on the way.Then the parts guy said the labor is already included, why not get the chrome front end!
Well there I am...
What the heck. Chrome front end has been ordered. ($560) Well at least my bike will be "pretty".

Parts won't be in until next week. Anxious for the new and improved ride, even though I though stock was fine.
You don't know about the improvements until you are done.

Always felt a bit tired at the end of all day riding. Maybe this will help, especially when I take X-Country ride.

A good article in the Feb. 2012 issue of Road Iron.
(I'm slow at getting through my magazines....)

They replace the f/r shocks with Works brand shocks.
Same job function. Just a different brand of shocks.
Basically they said the rear, anyone can do it.

There was some wear, scuffing on both my fork tubes. Checked the fork tube runout and they were out of limits. (Exceeds 0.008 inch runout).
Bushings needed replacing also. Just wear and tear.....

New bushings and fork tubes on the way.Then the parts guy said the labor is already included, why not get the chrome front end!
Well there I am...
What the heck. Chrome front end has been ordered. ($560) Well at least my bike will be "pretty".

Always felt a bit tired at the end of all day riding. Maybe this will help, especially when I take X-Country ride.
Were you there when they checked the runout? I'd like to know how they check that runout...maybe it is in my manual. .008 doesn't sound terrible to me.

I too would like a little more info on runout. Were the tubes out of round .008 or were they bent? Either way depending on where the .008 was measured it would make it hard for the seals to work. If they were bent I wonder what you hit to bend them or they were out of round what caused this.

To bad you already ordered the chrome front end! You should have checked out Willy Shiny at chrome exchange, chrome wheel exchange, wheel spacers, Harley chrome wheels, Harley trike wheels, trike wheels, hub saver, harley wheels for chrome front end parts. You can get a pair of fork tubes for $175 and Willy Shiny has all the rest of the chrome parts for your front end at a good price as well.
The Harley fork tubes were $175 so no saving there.

I do believe in supporting my dealer, sometimes too much support.
I'm in a "Rewards Program" from the dealership and earned $300 to use towards parts and/or labor.

I did see the scuffing on the fork tubes and the read-out on the gauge.
I don't want to tear it down again in case something goes wrong so I sprang for new fork tubes.
Got a 30% coupon to use up so that's why I'm staying with the dealership.

All the parts came in today and job was finished.
Took the bike for a 20 mile ride over highway/city streets, looking for rough parts of the road.

The ride felt more solid, firm to the road, so I'm happy.

The real test will be next year when I take a longer ride. Going to the west coast again. Before, I'd feel a bit fatigued after a days ride. I'm thinking the cartridge system will smooth out a long ride.
When I put the Progressive front springs in the Sportster, I could tell the difference. It was just a slight smoothing but when doing 500-600 miles a day, it adds up.
I have Progressive Springs f/r on both the Sportster and the Ultra.
XM radio, new tires and shocks on the Ultra, I'm ready for a road trip! (when Spring returns).

Also had the dealership add the Chrome Front End. Labor was the same, just extra for the parts.

Sure looks sweet. Glad I did it.

The Harley fork tubes were $175 so no saving there.

I do believe in supporting my dealer, sometimes too much support.
I'm in a "Rewards Program" from the dealership and earned $300 to use towards parts and/or labor.

I did see the scuffing on the fork tubes and the read-out on the gauge.
I don't want to tear it down again in case something goes wrong so I sprang for new fork tubes.
Got a 30% coupon to use up so that's why I'm staying with the dealership.

I wasn't referring to the fork tube which may have been $175 from your HD dealer I was referring to the chrome parts that are visible such as the chrome lower fork sliders which HD MSRP list for $419.95 a pair but you can get the same chrome HD lower fork sliders from Willy Shiny for $175.00 a pair. That figures out to a $245 saving on just one part of your chrome front end, that $245 would have covered chrome upper slider covers and chrome wheel spacers and put some cash toward your chrome rotors or in your pocket. There is nothing wrong with supporting your dealer but there is nothing wrong with saving a buck either, the main thing is your happy.

Back