free website stats program Progressive front springs vs Progressive Cartridge System? | Harley Davidson Forums

Progressive front springs vs Progressive Cartridge System?

gusotto

Any input regarding the riding differences of replacing Progressive front HD springs vs the Progressive Cartridge System?
Thinking it would make a nice winter project, just debating which way to go.
I noticed in some earlier posts (in 2011) that there were a few issues with the cartridge losing its gas charge, requiring tear-down to replace the defective cartridge. I don't want to have to tear down my bagger if it failed.

I have the front Progressive HD springs in my Sportster. It helped a wee bit but nothing to write home about. My Sportster has always been a smooth ride to begin with.

My Ultra is also a smooth ride but you don't notice the improvements until you do them.

Cant tell you the difference as I only have the cartridges. Installed them in July and have about 3000 miles on them. I too read about the early gas release issue. I haven't seen that discussion in a while.

I dont know that I would call the ride "smoother" than stock. I think firmer is a better description. They virtually eliminate the front brake dive that you are used to with the stock setup. Of course the dront still drops but it isnt nearly as dramatic of a weight shift. It makes for a safer emergency stop IMO. Overall I like the feel of my new front end and would do it over again.

What ever you decide, let us know how it goes and how you like it. Check Mark at M&M when pricing, he has some really good prices on Progressive stuff.

M&M Cycles - Home of Mom and Pop

Thanks Bodeen....
I have a $300 certificate at the Harley dealer. I could put it toward parts or parts and labor.
Can't think of much else to get for the bike. I think I've topped it off for external items.

Thanks Bodeen....
I have a $300 certificate at the Harley dealer. I could put it toward parts or parts and labor.
Can't think of much else to get for the bike. I think I've topped it off for external items.

How a bout one of them fancy new LED headlights? They are real nice.......

I know HDDON has the cartridges in his bike too with twice as many miles as I have. He has good things to say and no issues as well.

Last edited:

I know HDDON has the cartridges in his bike too with twice as many miles as I have. He has good things to say and no issues as well.

Bodeen is right, I have the monotube system on my 05RG and I have found it to be a great system. When I first installed it I could not really tell the difference, maybe a little firmer but not too much different from the stock setup. After about 1000mi I decided to test the anti dive the system is supposed to have and during several panic stops I was a believer, I would not change back. I also have Progressive springs on my 94FLSTC and I have liked the firmer feel durings quick stops that they provide. I have been thinking that if the monotube system will fit my 94 I just might change over.

Nice thought but I already have the Harley LED HL/Passing lights.
Thinking about the LED turn signals, front and rear. That would eat up my $300.
Then the parts guy said to think about putting the $300 (it's a buyers reward program. spend $2,500 and get a certificate for $300) toward the Progressives. Got me thinking.

I have replaced the Harley LED HL twice and the LED passing lights are on their third set. Developed moisture inside the lens. Didn't affect the ability to shine in the dark but just looked nasty.
Talked to someone else with the Harley LED's and he was on his 3rd set. Passing lamps lasted about a year (me too).
Showed the dealer the problem and he was handed another set and replaced them in the dealers parking lot.
Hope it gets better.

I did replace my Harley air shocks (nothing wrong with them) with Progressive shocks. I had a good ride before but the new shocks seemed to plant the rear better.

Nice thought but I already have the Harley LED HL/Passing lights.
Thinking about the LED turn signals, front and rear. That would eat up my $300.
Then the parts guy said to think about putting the $300 (it's a buyers reward program. spend $2,500 and get a certificate for $300) toward the Progressives. Got me thinking.

I have replaced the Harley LED HL twice and the LED passing lights are on their third set. Developed moisture inside the lens. Didn't affect the ability to shine in the dark but just looked nasty.
Talked to someone else with the Harley LED's and he was on his 3rd set. Passing lamps lasted about a year (me too).
Showed the dealer the problem and he was handed another set and replaced them in the dealers parking lot.
Hope it gets better.

I did replace my Harley air shocks (nothing wrong with them) with Progressive shocks. I had a good ride before but the new shocks seemed to plant the rear better.

Looks like we are of the same mind. I replaced the OEM shocks with Progressive Air shocks. They seem to work better than the OEM while riding two up.

I have the Progressive monotubes in my bike and I love them. The bike handles and rides better IMO and one of the features that sold me on the monotubes is that there is no more need to change fork oil so the monotubes are basically maintenance free, also you have more control of the bike when using the front brake because you have less nose dive. The monotubes are a lot better then springs hands down and if you go that way you will be very happy.

Did anyone drop their front end when they installed the monotubes? I'm thinking of doing it with a one inch drop. BTW, I'm not worried about scraping as I'm a cautious rider.

By drop the front end do you mean installing a lowered monotube system? They do make them as well as lowered rear shocks.

Back