free website stats program Progressive Cartridge Fork quick review | Harley Davidson Forums

Progressive Cartridge Fork quick review

wv2wheel

While in for my 20k service I had the Progressive cartridge system installed instead of a fork oil change or other mod to the plunger setup. (about $700 parts and labor! really 4 hours labor to drop in these units? ah well). Anyway, I put about 200 miles on it so far on highway, two lane, single lane, smooth and rough. I guess I am a little disappointed I dont feel a big difference in handling on the big beast but its also hard to compare when the last ride I took was 2 weeks ago riding it in to the shop (was away for work in the meantime). dive under braking is much less and bounce is also more controlled/lessened so I know its working well I just had hoped for some more change in cornering control and such. I think perhaps weight and the rear lack of damping adjustment might be limiting it now but rear shocks are not something I am tackling right away. Anyway for those wondering about these units they are slick (drop right in) and do help with front end dive and do control bounce in the front on uneven surfaces without being overly harsh but they arent the end all of handling improvements for the big dude, just a beginning.

Thanks for the first hand report. I've been looking at a set for the Glide. Can you tell me what the scheduled maint. is? Do you know how the fluids are changed?

As I understand it there is no "maintenance" on these things. They are like a gas charged strut on your car...you dont do anything to them until they die. There is about 5 oz or so of fluid put in the legs just for lube and rust inhibition but I dont think you would change that out for any reason for a long time since it isnt really doing any of the suspension work. Harley Davidson Shocks :: Harley Monotube :: Progressive Suspension

Phil

Back