free website stats program Progressive 940 shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

Progressive 940 shocks

so cal hoss

I know, ask 20 people and get 20 different answers. Anyone running the Progressive 940's on a 2010 Road Glide Custom? My weight is 180# so I'm looking for feedback from somebody my size. The original 12" air shocks will bottom out and rebound harshly. I've changed the shock oil to 7wt and run about 8 pounds of air. While this is a vast improvement I can still easily bottom out. I contacted Progressive's tech line and was told the 940 would be the ultimate shock which measures 13" eye to eye but is actually 12" with the bike off the lift and rider in the saddle. The 940's will run $500++ so before I drop this kind of change, I'm hoping for some feedback. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Probably a dumb question but is 8 pounds what the owner's manual says to set the shocks at for your weight? I would try the full range of pressure settings before giving up and dropping over $500 on new shocks.

I have a 09 FLHR and I put 21/24 in for my weight 200# and run 30/33 when I ride double and some gear... I don't know where you get 8 lbs???? That isn't enough to hold the bikes weight IMO.

NOW IF they changed the air/oil shocks in the 2010's ,,, I'm un-aware

AM I missing the boat here????? AIR it UP:newsmile016:

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie
By changing the original oil to a heavier weight, the original shock now seems to have more dampening. With "0" air in the shocks as referenced by my manual, I bottom out on the smallest of pot holes. Granted, I can air up the shocks, but by doing this, the bike rides like a hard tail. I'm looking for a softer ride (I ride 1 up) without the spine jolt of riding over some imperfection in the road. My 2004 Glide with 13" shocks never gave me such a harsh ride. Believe me, I've adjusted my air shocks from low to high and I can't find a near perfect ride. According to Progressive, this is a common problem with the 12" shocks. (I want to stay with the 12" shocks)

Im currently using progressive 430's and I think they are great - I've tried the 440's, 418's and the 412 and think the 430's by far are the best - the 940's are pretty new and I haven't heard anything about them, but you might want to look into the 430's - plus they're not near as expensive. Oh and they were all 12" shocks.

Bubbie
By changing the original oil to a heavier weight, the original shock now seems to have more dampening. With "0" air in the shocks as referenced by my manual, I bottom out on the smallest of pot holes. Granted, I can air up the shocks, but by doing this, the bike rides like a hard tail. I'm looking for a softer ride (I ride 1 up) without the spine jolt of riding over some imperfection in the road. My 2004 Glide with 13" shocks never gave me such a harsh ride. Believe me, I've adjusted my air shocks from low to high and I can't find a near perfect ride. According to Progressive, this is a common problem with the 12" shocks. (I want to stay with the 12" shocks)

I've got an 08 STREETGLIDE and I switched to the 13" shocks but the ride still (EDIT) . If you adjust the air for two up so as not to bottom out the rebound is rediculous. You're not the first I've heard to complain about the stock shocks, I'm also looking at the progressive shocks they've got to be better than the Jap. junk that's on there now!!!!

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Bubbie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HMMmmm.. Just a thought....

If you changed to a Lighter oil,,,,, Would that give the shock a completely different ride than the Heavy oil you installed??? and allow a little more air to be used also??? (like a "0" weight)

I have never had a Big bike like the one now and have made do with the air rides I have... Yes, Rebound is a little much every now and then.. But still a better ride than I got on MY 06 R sporty.....

I get on that Stock Hot Rod bike and ride a few miles and LONG for the bouncy Big Bike in no time at all...

Yes, that may be the answer,,, Ride a sporty for a while and presto,,,, the ride on the big bike got SMoooooooooth as silk..:newsmile100:

signed....BUBBIE

On my 09 RG (different shocks than the shorter 10 RG shocks), my manual says 0-10 lbs rider only for folks 150-200lbs. Rider + Passenger, 40-50 lbs.

By myself, I'm 195lbs, I run 10 lbs and it's nice. When my wife jumps on the back, she is 105 lbs, I go up to 40 lbs and its' fine.

Now I have been riding this bike since Dec 2008 and came off of a 1200 solid mounted Sporty. So I still may be in heaven with the RG ride!

Good luck what ever you choose.

Ride safe and have fun.

The thing about air shocks typically use oil for the added "dampening" effect (read addditional losses due to funneling oil through valving) so in both directions of compression and rebound the shocks do not bottom or pogo you up and out of your seat. Air does not offer that much "dampening" but provides preload and raises ride height (think "balloon" here).

That said, it is pretty tricky to get the "balance" right, as performance suspension tuning is an art. The key is "incremental" adjustments for the conditions (this is where a technical professional can help) if deciding on NEW...based on mileage and time verses satisfaction equation for the OEM shocks. The Japanese shocks Showa and Kayaba have been around for years, and the stockers are limited to performance new and go downhill just like anything else...and based on your particular "Satisfaction Quotient". I like Progressive because they offer technical advise besides "just" throw them on paperwork.

Back