free website stats program problems with THUNDER- MAX | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

problems with THUNDER- MAX

good post River-Rat. I'd never heard of a pop stopper before. Keep us posted on that TMAT and if your bike continues to get better as you ride.

Looks like a 1"1/2 or 1"9/16 freeze plug with a 1/2" hole drilled in it. Seems remarkably similar to what fuel moto does to their rush mufflers.

Funny you should mention feeze plugs, when I was messing around with lolly-pops for my drag pipes I got some feeze plugs to try. Great minds think alike..LOL

I don't know about that pop-stopper, especially in only one pipe. Wouldn't that cause one cylinder to run richer than the other by adding that much constriction to the pipe, even with the crossover. That is an itty-bitty hole in that thing..

Doug

The bike is still running great; so far I am real happy with the Thunder-MAX and wish I had one on my other bike instead of a SERT.

I purchased two more pop stoppers (freeze plugs with holes) and intent to experiment a little with the size of the holes.

My plan is to increase the size in the pop stopper on the left header until I can’t control the decal popping. Then take another pop stopper and match the hole size and install it on the right header and see what happens. The third pop stopper is my back up just in case my experiment fails.

If anyone has done this before please provide your thoughts?

you might restrict the the flow to much on the right side with same size stopper .. i know some used to stagger slip ons on side 1 3/4s and a 2 in to try to equal out the sound

My plan is to increase the size in the pop stopper on the left header until I can’t control the decal popping. Then take another pop stopper and match the hole size and install it on the right header and see what happens. The third pop stopper is my back up just in case my experiment fails.

If anyone has done this before please provide your thoughts?

I wouldn't put one in the right header. You want the flow out there with the restricted left side. You could end up damaging the engine when it can't breathe because of the right side restriction.

sure i have didnt say it was a good move as the example with the slip on baffles i listed above they try to stagger them to make sound better 1 3/4 stock size on right and 2" on left ..

best think to do is if you want true dual sounds go true dual

Glider/Bud
Copy all on restricting the flow, what was I thinking. THANKS.

I believe I will continue to work on increasing the size on the left pop stopper. My main concern is the amount of condensation that drips from the muffler after I am done riding. I need less restriction to allow the pipe to get hot. I don’t want the muffler to rust out prematurely.

True duals are the next option once I recover from the Thunder –Max purchase. Balanced flow was the intent don’t get me wrong it still sounds great and runs fantastic!

Thanks again for the sanity check

Back