free website stats program Problems with Gold (6R12G)Spark Plugs | Harley Davidson Forums

Problems with Gold (6R12G)Spark Plugs

Hi everyone: I have a problem:

I have two bikes: A Street Bob and a Road King Classic, both 2007. They just have installed the Stage One Kit and the ECU flashed by the dealer with Screaming Eagle pipes. (All Harley.) I installed them the Screaming Eagle Spark Plug wires and the Screaming Eagle Triple Platinum Spark Plugs. Both were behaving all right with the exception of some pinging on certain occasions. Because of that I decided to change the Spark Plugs to a more conservative ones, the Harley Gold 6R12G. I calibrated them to 0.040”.

I noticed that the Street Bob got a reduction in the idle RPMS but the engine kept working. The Road King also reduced the idle RPMS but the engine stopped. The engine kept stopping at every red light. I got back to the Triple Platinum Spark Plugs and everything worked OK again. I can’t understand why this is happening. Is this because:
1. I can’t combine the Screaming Eagle Spark Plug wires with (almost) stock spark plugs.
2. The Gold spark plugs does not work all right with my bikes setting.
3. The calibration is wrong.

Why changing a spark plug for another also by Harley can cause such a malfunction?

Thanks for your help and best regards.

Raúl

Last edited by a moderator:
Different combinations of plugs and wires really shouldn't have much of an effect on the running of the bike however it may set a code due to the ION sensing in the delphi systems.
It measures the resistance in the secondary circuit and uses this as a means of detecting detonation/pinging and will adjust the engine management system as a result of this.
The SE wires and plugs shouldn't give you a problem but I like to stick with stock because there is little or no advantage of changing them on a basically stock engine.

TC -ION Sensing Detection Explained - Harley Davidson Community

That's what I think: That Screaming Eagle wires and plugs should comply with the ION Sensing system. I have also known a lot of people that agree with you regarding the little advantage of changing the stock items. That was one of the reasons to change to Gold plugs but it disappoints me that I can't use them with my actual installation, and that's why I wanted to know the root cause. Because I have already installed the Screaming wires I wouldn't like to uninstall them just to test if the stock plugs work better. Perhaps I should stick with my actual installation.
Thanks for your help.

Hi everybody:

Regarding my problem I will tell you what I did. As I told you, I had calibrated the Gold spark plugs gap to .040”. I decided to measure the gap in the triple platinum plugs that were working well. They were at .036”. So, I closed the gap in the Gold spark plugs and put them on the bike again. Problem solved! I rode some miles and the RPMS were all right and the engine never stopped. Idle was also OK.

Yesterday at night, I was having a coffee with some bikers, and a Harley mechanic arrived. I told him that I had installed Gold spark plugs and that I had had problems. Immediately he guessed that the RPMS had lowered and suggested me to check the spark plugs gap. I told him that I had done it and that it appears that the problem has been solved closing the gap a little bit. He told me that he had had good results with 040” when using high performance wires like Nology, but with stock or screaming eagle wires perhaps a smaller gap could be better, at least for the configuration of my bikes.
I will ride again this weekend an I hope everything keeps going well.

Thank you everybody for your help and ideas.

Regards.

Raúl González

I'm glad you got that worked out in time for the weekend. Thanks for the update. Ride safe this weekend.

Very confusing

Harley Gold 6R12G. I calibrated them to 0.040”.

The fix for this was to re-gap for 0.036".

According to the information I see on the net, the correct gap for Harley Gold 6R12G is 0.040".

Google gap 6R12G

I find it hard to believe that 0.004" would make such a big diffference unless the spark plug wires or transformer were not operating at 100% efficiency.
Is it possible that a 0.036" gap compensated for a slight fault in the system ?
As a novice I have to rely on the manufacturer info posted on the product.

Having said that ,what is the recommended spark plug gap for the plugs that are posted in the Self Help

Ok, Gotcha.

Most of the newer bikes run 40 thousandths on the plugs. It's actually listed as 38 - 42 thou but most set them at 40 which is perfectly alright for the standard type plug (6R12) etc.

I think I solved my own problem..

I dont know how many times I have looked in my HD manual and missed it.

Spark gap for my bike is 0.038" - 0.045" (5R6A).

I just assumed that the recommended gap that was provided by the manufacturer on the package was what I should be using.

I feel like an idiot.. wait a minute that makes 3 times now.:wall

I am using a Bosch Platinum+4 is # 4478. Thats supposed to be the equivalent to a 5R6A , but I'll bet that gap is to large for my application.

Back