free website stats program Problem With SuperGlide | Harley Davidson Forums

Problem With SuperGlide

hd4evr

Banned
My 2007 SuperGlide did something really strange today. I was VERY low on gas, and headed to the station when it back-fired/stalled for a second (never quit running just quit for a second). I continued on about another 1/2 mile to the gas station and filled up the tank. I then turned the key on, waited for the fuel system to set, then hit the start button, and ...........BIG CLICK, and all my lights go out, odometer, etc., and I've got nothing! Tried it several times.switched key back and forth.......nothing......I called my son to come get me after about 5 minutes, and thought I'd try it one more time..............BAM! it starts right up!.............runs fine for about 2 hours, and just now when I was leaving my house, about a block away, it backfires/misses/dies for a second, so I turn around and come straight home. What's wrong? Bike is stock.

Yea, I am guessing a faulty ground. My buddy's Sportster did something similar and his ground strap tab actually snapped off. Odd.

AJ

I disconnected and reconnected the cables and the bike seems OK now. The cables weren't very loose though,but you never know. It seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

Don't know if you cleaned the contact surfaces or not but always take the cable end where it joins on to the battery and twist it back and forth a bit as you tighten it. It gives a better contact especially if you didn't clean it like you should have with a wire brush/sandpaper.

i also had the same backfires-black smoke out of the pipes-engine not die when low on fuel a few times *doh* on my 04 fxdx. even after switching to "res", still had to be easy on the throttle (if not, would get the engine "coughing"). After the fill up, i did the turning ignition and click "run" button procedure twice, then pressed the "start" button. of course waited until the oil light went out. after that it all went ok.

do u always ride the motor? or warm up the engine when u dont ride it for long period of time?

in your situation, i think that small black thing, the regulator (or is it alternator?) that charges the batt when the engine runs, should be checked/replaced.
this happened to me once, replacing that thing cured my 00 nitetrain..

Back