free website stats program Problem with cruise dropping out | Harley Davidson Forums

Problem with cruise dropping out

Every time I washed my bike the cruise control would drop out intermittently for several hours afterward. Once everything was dried out it would work fine. Now I am no longer able to get it to work at all. I have done the diagnostic procedure from the service manual and it indicates that the unit is OK. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You probably have a problem in the right handlebar switch. Is the cruise light still on in the speedo?

All of the indicator lights work during the diagnostic tests. I have checked the switches for continuity and done wiggle tests and there seems to be no problem with them. I also thought that there may be a problem with the roll off switch in the idle cable, but it seems to be OK too.

I have checked both brake switches and they operate normally. I should mention that when I ran the diagnostics I got code 112 which is throttle roll off in all 8 memory locations. I might need to replace the idle cable if nothing else works.

Check the idle cable between the front of the gas tank and the frame neck...it has a switch in it that disengages the cruise if you roll off the throttle. If it got some water in it, it may have some corrosion on the contacts preventing you from engaging the cruise. You can jumper the contacts and see if it works, if so, the cable should probably be replaced.

That switch on the cable would be the place I look as well. I just pulled the the wires off, the cruise works fine and just tapping either brake shuts it off when needed. I may replace my cables this summer and reconnect them.

How loose is your front brake lever? if it is wobbling it could be turning your cruise off the brake switch could be broke or the switch housing may be loose and it is letting the lever wobble or move more than usual which is intermittently canceling your cruise? Check this by looking at your brake light.

Check the idle cable between the front of the gas tank and the frame neck...it has a switch in it that disengages the cruise if you roll off the throttle. If it got some water in it, it may have some corrosion on the contacts preventing you from engaging the cruise. You can jumper the contacts and see if it works, if so, the cable should probably be replaced.

This is where mine went bad too. First place I'd check. Been there, done that!

I have traced the problem down to corrosion in the idle cable. I will be replacing the throttle and the idle cables soon.

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions.

Back