free website stats program Problem Starting | Harley Davidson Forums

Problem Starting

Kjay

I have a 2006 Dyna Super Glide Custom and my problem is The bike starts fine cold but after riding a while if I stop to get gas or something like that it won't start, then if I wait maybe 10 to 15 minutes it starts fine. When it doesnt start it turns over fine everything is as it should be it just won't start until 10 to 15 minutes later. This has been going on for about a month now and is getting worse because it was happening now and then but now everytime I have to be prepared to wait. I changed the plugs and the air filter. I had diagnostic codes for crankcase sensor and 02 sensor, changed them. I purchased an engine temperature sensor I will change that tomorrow. Does anyone have any ideas that maybe the cause of this. The stealership doesn't seem to know they are as baffled like me. I need help. One person suggested a Fuel Line Tank Intake that was his problem on a 2010 UC but his won't start at all. The service manager suggested the gas cap that wasnt it either. Some body let me know something I am open for all reasonable suggestions.

Do you have anymore Codes? you said and crankcase sensor did you mean crankshaft ? do you have spark when it wont start? hows the fuel milage

I can't believe the dealer can't figure the problem out right away , they are trained or suppose to be trained to work on these machines . If my dealer couldn't figure out a seemingly simple problem like that i'd find a different dealer . You shouldn't have to buy parts you don't need to replace unless you're doing it yourself by trial and error then it's understandable .

Did it throw the codes once or does it continue to give them.

I would be tempted to heat the coil up with a hair dryer to see what happens, with the bike cold. But it seems if the coil was overheating,the bike would quit running before you stopped.

I would look at the EFI system, hoses may have pin holes, or EFI fuel pressure loss. If all fuel drains out of the pump, it could lose it's prime. Did you check the plugs to see if they are reasonably clean and gapped properly. Check those wires and if the spark is strong (ground shell of plug to cylinder, stuff a towel or rag in the spark plug hole. Also, did you replace the temperature sensor?

I had diagnostic codes for crankcase sensor and 02 sensor, changed them.

What were the code NUMBERS. O2 sensor code could be Pegged High, pegged low,, not responding,, front cylinder or rear cylinder. Was code for crank sensor High,, Low or intermittent. It Makes a difference.

And like was already asked,,, has any codes re-appeared.

Well I am happy to say that the problem was the engine temp sensor. I installed it yesterday and haven't had a problem since. To answer one of the questions the answer is yes I was doing all this myself and the parts I bought I did need, maybe not for the problem but there were codes indicating they were needed. The ignition coil I had from a while back when the alternator blew up. I am a do it yourself type person and ususally willing to do what ever is necessary to get the job done. Thank for all the opinions, I will continue to use this site for help it is very useful. Thanks again to all. I am ready to ride to live and live to ride.

Back