free website stats program Probably a Dumb Question, But? | Harley Davidson Forums

Probably a Dumb Question, But?

scrinch

To those much more mechanically inclined than I .....I wonder if there are any changes necessary when going from a stock muffler to a pretty straight thru muffler on a HD 2001 RKC. Also, can one expect better fuel economy with a straight thru muffler ?. (it has 1/2 baffles but you can see daylight thru it)

Some added fuel may be in order. Really no advantage fuel economy wise in doing his.

Makes sense. Would the same apply to K&N type airfilters? Seems like anything that improves air/exhaust flow could require you to add more fuel to the mix.

Makes sense. Would the same apply to K&N type airfilters? Seems like anything that improves air/exhaust flow could require you to add more fuel to the mix.

Pretty much anything that increases flow will lean the mixture out. It should have added fuel for better performance and to eliminate the lean condition created by the better flow.

Usually you don't have to rejet or add fuel management(EFI) if you leave the stock breather and air filter on. Fuel economy changes would be minimal if any.Just free flow mufflers may draw a little more airflow thru your intake,but most times not enuf to make a real difference, just check your plugs for signs of overheating. When you open the intake,then you'll have to adjust fuel flow to match the increased air flow.

Oh yeah...i was told a loooong time ago. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

That's the thing I like most about this particular forum. No one in this group is going to ridicule you or make fun of you for any honest question that you ask.
Some other groups I've seen are no where near as accommodating.
I for one appreciate everyones patience and consideration.

That's the thing I like most about this particular forum. No one in this group is going to ridicule you or make fun of you for any honest question that you ask.
Some other groups I've seen are no where near as accommodating.
I for one appreciate everyones patience and consideration.

That's what we try to keep off this forum as well as language. The keyboard commandos are put out to pasture when they show up.:D

I was in an indy-type shop a month ago with the same question. My bike has a high-flow air cleaner with stock pipes. I was told that I would have to reinstall the stock air cleaner if I changed my exhaust, OR, buy a Power Commander to the tune of $350. OUCH!

I am no longer in a hurry to spend my money on this after reading the other threads about the crack down on modified exhaust system.

Back