free website stats program Privacy....Or Lack There Of | Harley Davidson Forums

Privacy....Or Lack There Of

Joyflyin

Experienced Member
Staff member
I just wanted to put a couple of things out here for everyone to check into for your own safety & security.

If I have a phone number show up on my home or cell phone I don't recognize I will google it to find out what the story is for the number. One day at work, out of boredom, I googled my home phone number & couldn't believe what I found. I don't so much have a problem with the name & address showing up, but I did have a problem with the fact that you can click 'map' and you have a recent picture of my house from the street. I had my number removed from that.

The other thing I found out about is a site called spokeo.com that you can go to and enter a name and get way too much information, IMO. For a small fee, you can get more private information too. However, for free, you will see a lot of info that is asked on credit applications and such.

To remove yourself, copy the url link for the page with your info on it, then go to the privacy link at the bottom. Paste the link in the first box, then enter an email, (I use an account I set up as a generic for this kind of stuff), then enter the code. You only have to enter the security code once, despite how it looks, if you enter it 3 times, you will get 3 emails. LOL, then check your email & click the link to remove your information.

Now, from what I could tell, the information is not all accurate, but some of it is too accurate. Just thought I would share for our safety. :s

wow..that is scary.. watch out for google maps too where people can zoom right down in on your back yard...

wow..that is scary.. watch out for google maps too where people can zoom right down in on your back yard...

I,m always a little Spooked to go on any site let alone google anymore.. I feel the Smart ones can over ride Just me being on line.

Worry Wart

signed....BUBBIE

If we can view all of this free public stuff think of what Uncle Sam can see that he doesn't tell us. I think that is scarey
kemo

If we can view all of this free public stuff think of what Uncle Sam can see that he doesn't tell us. I think that is scarey
kemo
you are so very right!!! Plus, think of all our - otherwise - private information that is already "out there" on the internet!

Bill

I saw that our next big threat is used photo copiers. Turns out that they have a hard drive that stores everything that has ever been copied or faxed from them. Companies are turning in these old machines to dealers who sell them. All this private information is available to whoever wants it, bank accounts, medical history, criminal records what ever you can imagine is on these hard drives
kemo

I just wanted to put a couple of things out here for everyone to check into for your own safety & security.

If I have a phone number show up on my home or cell phone I don't recognize I will google it to find out what the story is for the number. One day at work, out of boredom, I googled my home phone number & couldn't believe what I found. I don't so much have a problem with the name & address showing up, but I did have a problem with the fact that you can click 'map' and you have a recent picture of my house from the street. I had my number removed from that.

The other thing I found out about is a site called spokeo.com that you can go to and enter a name and get way too much information, IMO. For a small fee, you can get more private information too. However, for free, you will see a lot of info that is asked on credit applications and such.

To remove yourself, copy the url link for the page with your info on it, then go to the privacy link at the bottom. Paste the link in the first box, then enter an email, (I use an account I set up as a generic for this kind of stuff), then enter the code. You only have to enter the security code once, despite how it looks, if you enter it 3 times, you will get 3 emails. LOL, then check your email & click the link to remove your information.

Now, from what I could tell, the information is not all accurate, but some of it is too accurate. Just thought I would share for our safety. :s

Thanks for the info. I don't have a land line anymore. I did away with it a couple years ago. I was paying $600 a year and all I got were solicitors when we were trying to ear or after 9:30PM.

Wow, thanks for the info...I removed myself from the spokeo site. Hey joyflyin - where do you work b/c I don't get any spare time during the day to do anything but work...;)

Cheers!

Back