free website stats program Primo Brute III Belt Drive | Harley Davidson Forums

Primo Brute III Belt Drive

ChopperDoc

A friend brought in a bike with a Primo Brute III Belt Drive installed but with fluid in the primary case. I have never seen one run wet before and the shop that built the bike has gone out of business. I'm not sure if I should put chain case, 20/50 or what in it. Any suggestions? Thanks.....

A friend brought in a bike with a Primo Brute III Belt Drive installed but with fluid in the primary case. I have never seen one run wet before and the shop that built the bike has gone out of business. I'm not sure if I should put chain case, 20/50 or what in it. Any suggestions? Thanks.....

I have NEVER heard of ANY belt drives running lube have a look at the install here http://www.riveraprimoinc.com/BRUTE-III-EXTREME-2007-TOURING-INSTRUCTIONS-lores.pdf If it is true some one is leading you on IMO Primo has been around a ling time. I have installed alot of open 3 inch primaries in the day a very solid product but have a problem understanding the lube issue here

why not contact Primo?, they should be able to get you going.

The following is from the Rivera website, "It is common knowledge that a belt drive primary provides advantages & service that a standard chain drive
primary cannot. For dependable, high-performance, long lasting service nothing beats a modern Primo®
primary Belt Drive! A long standing tradition of ”Quality & Performance” has made Primo® Belt Drive systems
the most popular in the world! The wet clutch nightmare is over, no more leaky primary, no more draining
the primary for inspection or maintenance. Carefully read & follow these instructions for a quick, convenient
installation. If you have any questions please call (562) 907-2600"

I don't think you're supposed to be running oil in there!! :(

Here is the link I got the info from.Rivera Engineering - Installation Guides

Last edited by a moderator:
Primo recommends removing the primary drain plug, venting the primary cover, It aint going to hold oil like that

I am not in any way disputing the fact that the drive should be run dry. Like I said, the shop that did the build is out of business, so I can't ask what they were thinking. I was just asking IF you put fluid in one, what would it be? I'll give Primo a call tomorrow and see if they have any ideas. Had I known it was a belt inside, I would have looked at the fluid a little closer before I dumpted it into the waste oil drum. Thanks.....

If you go to Primo Website, you'll see kits for Sportsters. Sportsters share trans and primary fluid, so they must make belts for wet use. Also, not all belt drives are the large 3". Many are 1 1/2", my shovel has one (dry).

Back