free website stats program Primary Whining | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Whining

Well I got her back yesterday morning, And I think she's finally fixed!:breakdance I have a complete new primary. New clutch hub, new compensating sprocket and a new primary chain and She sounds normal again.
The clutch seems a little touchy right now but I'm not sure if I need to adjust it a little or if I'm just used to the clutch on my Honda Shadow. But I also had a heck of a time finding neutral when I first got it back.

Check the primarty chain tension after some miles if that or the hub/sprocket were changed. The initial breakin will leave you with some slop. Also the clutch adjustment will cause a problem with finding neutral if it is grabbing up near the bar. Check your primary fluid level, if it is too high (over the bottom edge of the clutch hub) that will cause problems also finding neutral.

Looks like Pinocchio :55: strikes again. I went in and asked for the paperwork on what they did you my bike. After being told they were replacing the compensating sprocket clutch assembly and the primary chain, and had checked the run out on the main shaft, crank compensator sprocket and flywheel, the paper work says.............
the parts replaced were, 17359-06 Gasket service kit, 1k,5 / 37813-06a Clutch Assembly / 40036-06 Chain,Primary Drive / 60547-06 Gasket, Primary Cover / 99851-05 Formula+ Lubricant, Quart.
The work it says they did is: Called tech service for guidance, REF #_____ Check flywheeel run out found within specs. found broken tooth on clutch starter ring

I don't feel you are wrong at all. If the compensator bolt was installed correctly to begin with and the proper clamp load was applied using the washer or a cut down bolt, it shouldn't have come loose at all.

Burnt smell the clutch???:unsure You must ride the heck out of it:s

Glider, Is it normal to have any clunking at all from compensating sprocket? My 2008 with 7500 miles on it makes noise when pulling out from stop and is even worse when bike is loaded down with passenger and gear.

The 07 and on compensators are junk. They use a setup like a wave washer to keep tension rather than a ramp setup like older ones. That's why you get the bang also when you start the motor. Bring it up to the dealer, there's been a few changed under warranty.

Back