free website stats program Primary Whining | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Whining

Ok here's the update: I got the service thing squared away and got my bike looked at again......turns out 1 week and 700 miles later I got it back in the shop and checked again "for FREE!" The Primary chain was Way too tight! AND the Compensator sprocket turned almost half a turn when the Mech. put a torque wrench on it. (Hmm, Wonder if the first guy didn't torque it correctly and neglected to reset the tensioner or if something else is going on?).....Any way That was Saturday afternoon. So I took the bike home...after a few stops I put about 100 miles on it after it was adjusted and Sunday I Checked the tension again. It seemed a better too me.
Monday I ride to work it's 20 miles one way on the freeway, I was going to check it every evening but I fell asleep after dinner yesterday so I let it slide.
Today I ride to do work and Check the tension again and there it is:12::12: super tight again!!!! There's no play what so ever in the chain unless I use a lot of force. I don't know what going on in there but I wonder how often this goes unnoticed since there is no inspection plate because there is an "automatic" chain tensioner

It's been a problem with some bikes that over adjust. Tell the dealer to replace the tensioner if it is still under warranty. Two years unlimited miles.

Well..............I took her back into the shop this morning and got the call about 2:30 pm. The service manager said their gonna have to keep the bike awhile.!!:dknow He said She's got some issue and they'll know more tomorrow.:55: He mentioned something about the run out on the clutch hub but to be honest.....all I heard was "You can't ride this bike anymore!!" :newsmile017: But I've been telling them for 3 weeks know something more was wrong with it, but they didn't believe me. This all started with a new sound I started hearing coming from the primary. I ride my bike every day. I've had her a little over a year, and been to the other side of South Dakota and back to Spokane, Wa. What I started hearing showed up right before I hit 13,000 miles. I knew I wasn't just being paranoid, but they were doing a pretty good job of making me think I was crazy.:bigsmiley22:
I'm glad my Ol' Lady didn't let me sell Stella, I can still ride:rider

dont you get a loaner if they have to keep it awhile.. guy here id when they ha to order both o2 sensors and a pipe

dont you get a loaner if they have to keep it awhile.. guy here id when they ha to order both o2 sensors and a pipe

I don't know? I didn't ask.....besides I got another bike that needs some attention....I'd rather ride mine that theirs anyway.:D

Just finished the service on my 2005 Deluxe, adjusted clutch, check chain and all the other little things. Here is my question I have put on around 200 miles since the service with no problems, on my way into work this morning I noticed a slight whining, it sounded like it was comimg from the primary. If I pull in the clutch it seamed to go away and when I let out the clurtch it came back. Any ideas?

Back