free website stats program Primary whine? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary whine?

dbmg
They did not change the transmission fluid as it was not part of the 10k service. Last week though I changed the transmission fluid to Red Line V-twin with Shockproof.
Can I adjust the primary chain to be a bit looser if it proves to be too tight?
Thanks........Colt

dbmg
They did not change the transmission fluid as it was not part of the 10k service. Last week though I changed the transmission fluid to Red Line V-twin with Shockproof.
Can I adjust the primary chain to be a bit looser if it proves to be too tight?
Thanks........Colt

Yes you can, do you have a manual? It is a bit tricky, you will have to remove your outer primary to reset the automatic adjuster, it is all covered in the manual

The OEM auto primary chain adjuster often adjusts the chain too tight. Many have changed from the OEM to the Hayden adjuster for that reason. Never understood the auto adjuster. :shock The early manual adjuster worked great; once adjusted, you could forget about it for many, many miles.

The OEM auto primary chain adjuster often adjusts the chain too tight. Many have changed from the OEM to the Hayden adjuster for that reason. Never understood the auto adjuster. :shock The early manual adjuster worked great; once adjusted, you could forget about it for many, many miles.

As with most new vehicles the manufacture has taken almost all the maintenance away from the owner. You do not even have to check air pressure in most cars today, just wait till light comes on....:(

Well today I removed the derby cover and primary drain plug and drained the oil out. Had a few lil fuzzies on the magnet but otherwise seemed ok. I replaced the "O" ring and then filled it with Red Line Primary oil. I put in 1 bottle [32oz.] then I removed my 1" board from under the 'jiffy' stand and added more Redline from a 2nd. jug until it was right at the point of over flowing the primary.It only took 35 oz. [I thought I read it would take 38 oz.?] Anyhow I buttoned it all up and fired it up to look for leaks...all was fine. I'll road test it tomorrow.
Colt.45

Well today I removed the derby cover and primary drain plug and drained the oil out. Had a few lil fuzzies on the magnet but otherwise seemed ok. I replaced the "O" ring and then filled it with Red Line Primary oil. I put in 1 bottle [32oz.] then I removed my 1" board from under the 'jiffy' stand and added more Redline from a 2nd. jug until it was right at the point of over flowing the primary.It only took 35 oz. [I thought I read it would take 38 oz.?] Anyhow I buttoned it all up and fired it up to look for leaks...all was fine. I'll road test it tomorrow.
Colt.45

Bike should be upright when filling the primary.This is why it did not take 38 oz.

Hartto
Ahhhha, that would explain it then. I thought I read it was to be on the jiffy stand to check level.
Thanks..........Colt.45

added more Redline from a 2nd. jug until it was right at the point of over flowing the primary.
Colt.45

Sounds like you overfilled the primary. Not sure what the Rocker Service Manual says but here are some quotes from the 2008 Touring Service Manual:

Check Lubricant Level-

If the fluid level can be seen, it is adequate. Otherwise, pour enough lubricant in through the clutch inspection cover opening until it is visible along the bottom portion of the clutch assembly.

CAUTION-

Do not overfill the primary chaincase with lubricant. Overfilling can cause rough clutch engagement, incomplete disengagement, clutch drag, and/or difficulty in finding neutral at engine idle.

Your primary lube should not come anywhere near the top of the inspection opening. Should be interesting to see what results on your test ride.

Check Lubricant Level
1. Ride motorcycle until engine is warmed up to normal
operating temperature.
2. Stand motorcycle upright, so that primary chaincase is
level.
3. See Figure 1-12. Remove five screws to free clutch
inspection cover from primary chaincase cover.
4. Remove seal ring from clutch inspection cover and discard.
5. If the fluid level can be seen, it is adequate. Otherwise,
pour enough GENUINE Harley-Davidson FORMULA+
TRANSMISSION AND PRIMARY CHAINCASE LUBRICANT
(Part No. 99851-05, U.S. quart) in through the
clutch inspection cover opening until it is visible along the
bottom portion of the clutch assembly.
6. Refer to Changing Chaincase Lubricant

Changing Chaincase Lubricant
When draining or adding lubricant, do not allow dirt, debris
or other contaminants to enter the engine. (00198a)
1. Ride motorcycle until engine is warmed up to normal
operating temperature.
2. Remove five screws to free clutch inspection cover from
primary chaincase cover.
3. Remove drain plug at bottom of primary chaincase. Drain
lubricant into suitable container.
NOTE
Dispose of chaincase lubricant in accordance with local regulations.
4. Clean drain plug magnet. If plug has accumulated a lot of
debris, inspect the condition of chaincase components.
5. Inspect drain plug O-ring for cuts, tears or signs of deterioration.
Replace as necessary.
6. Install drain plug into primary chaincase and tighten to 14-
21 ft-lbs (19.0-28.5 Nm).
7. Pour 38 fl. oz. (1124 ml) of GENUINE Harley-Davidson
FORMULA+ TRANSMISSION AND PRIMARY CHAINCASE
LUBRICANT (Part No. 99851-05 quart) through the
clutch inspection cover opening.
NOTE
Only add 45 fl. oz. (1331 ml) after service that involves removal

Back