free website stats program primary squeel | Harley Davidson Forums

primary squeel

jimsmith

98 softail primary squeels when you back off throttle no noise when on throttle or when you pull in clutch .Any ideas? Thank you

To check if it is the drive belt take a little silicone spray on a rag and apply it to the inside of the belt. This is pretty easy if you can raise the rear tire, if you can't raise it have a friend roll the bike forward while you apply the silicone. Take it for a ride and see if the squeel goes away.

I am always VERY worried about squeals from the primary. I suggest that you stop immediately (do not pass GO!), open up the primary and make sure the compensator nut is not backing off. When that happens, it will allow the rotor to wallow around on the shaft, eventually jamming on the stator. When that happens, the engine drive shaft will sheer all the dog teeth out of the rotor. Not bueno!! (Ask me how I know all that!!).

You will need a new primary cover gasket, and primary chain inspection cover gasket (I add the fluid here - easier) plus a quart of whatever you use in the primary to check this - cheap at twice the cost!!

TQ

I know the nut is not backing off justhad the whole primary inner and outter off bike changed trans.Thank you JIM SMITH

IT used to squeel real bad when it was wet .I am in the garage right now adjusting the belt just to make sure.

You may want to take a look at the trans belt pulley to be sure it isn't the cause of the problem.

First i would like to thank you for the help.Next i would like to say i should have adjusted the belt first.It was the belt i would of bet someone anything it was the primary.It sounded like it was in the front of the primary.Anyway problem solved LETS RIDE !!! again thanks to all Jim

Glad you got it sorted Jim. Now go ride it like you stole it.....

Bodeen

Back